Thursday, September 10, 2009

Premiere Watch '09: Vampire Diaries



Vampire Diaries:
"Pilot"

The similarities of Vampire Diaries to Twilight are so ubiquitous that I'm largely going to ignore them and try to judge Vampire Diaries on its own merits. After this pilot episode, it's merits are kind of eh. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't all that engaging either. I've heard that VD (that's kind of an embarrassing acronym to have, right?) will expand its focus beyond the tortured love story between the good vampire and the nice girl and tell a larger story about the town. That idea sounds more intriguing to me, since a lot of us have done the tortured-love-story-between-the-good-vampire-and-the-nice-girl thing to death with Twilight at this point.

The VD pilot itself was on the hokey side. There were a few too many introspective voice overs disguised as journal entries for my taste. I mean, why make people act when they can just tell us exactly what they're supposed to be feeling, right? Also, the show absolutely telegraphed every time something "momentous" happened by bring the action to a screeching halt for a dramatic pause and a close up shot. The lead actors did all right with what they had to work with, but I wasn't blown away by them or any of the supporting characters.

I'll probably be giving this show some more time to better establish itself and then see how I feel about it. At this point, I feel like it could go either way: fun, guilty pleasure or total crap.

Highlights and my thoughts:

  • No, lady, don't run away from the car! Get in it! You're not save at all running around in the open.
  • Historically, this Paul Wesley guy always rubs me the wrong way. I'm not really sure why but I never like him in anything I see him in. I wonder if it's because he's the whack job from Long Beach who broke Holly's blender and then shot Luke on The O.C. or if it runs deeper than that?
  • The aunt looks younger than the two high school kids.
  • I'm getting a serious Cassidy Casablancas vibe from the brother (Jeremy).
  • The show has been on for 3 minutes and I think they've already had four different soundtrack songs.
  • I've seen this Vicki girl before. (She was in The O.C. and much better in Freaks and Geeks.) And her boyfriend is familiar as well. (He played on of Naomi's many boyfriends in the new 90210. The drag racer I think?)
  • So on this show, vampires can hypnotize people with their eyes?
  • Dreamy vampires seem to have a very specific hair style.
  • I guess vampires on this show don't have to walk gracefully. This dude is absolutely lumbering down the hallway.
  • Elena is wearing some serious hoop earrings.
  • At least this vampire guy doesn't look like he's going to barf when gets close to the girl. That's helpful.
  • Whoa, that fog is alarming.
  • This Elena girl (Nina Dobrev) kind of reminds me a little bit of Jennifer Love Hewitt.
  • This show sure is trying awfully hard to make journaling popular again.
  • Elena is wearing quite a skimpy shirt.
  • "You keep a journal!?!?!" Oh, gag.
  • They're playing MGMT? Weren't they the makers of the "it" pilot songs last year?
  • Now they're playing Placebo's "Running Up That Hill"!? That's from the freaking Season 4 premiere of The O.C.! And suddenly I have been taken completely out of Vampire Diaries and am instead thinking about Ryan cage fighting in Mexico after Marissa died. Must re-focus...
  • Ok, there was an 1864 version of Elena? That's kind of interesting.
  • Is history the only class these people attend?
  • Wow, what is up this teacher's ass? It's what, the second day of school? There's no need to be this bitter already.
  • Whoa, Bonnie, the friend really is psychic or extra-perceptive or something. That's kind of freaky.
  • Gee, this Vicki chick is just a ray of sunshine. I can see why Jeremy is so hung up on her...
  • The Jennifer's Body/Gossip Girl cross promotion is kind of awkward. I mean, Blair is nasty, but she doesn't go around killing people.
  • Who is this Zach dude in Stefan's house who dishes out lectures?
  • Dramatic pause, close up shot, and it's...Boone!
  • Damon: "Remember, Stefan, it's important to stay away from fads!"
  • I think Boone's cheeks are a little too rosy for a vampire.
  • Elena is a dead ringer for Catherine.
  • Things did not end well with Catherine.
  • Boone has Cole Hamels hair. That's probably not a good thing.
  • So Stefan can only survive in the sunlight if he's wearing the ring? I'm so not up on the Vampire Diaries mythology. But, then again, I don't care all that much.
  • How come vampires never fall for blondes? (Except, I guess, for Angel and Buffy.)
  • Do Vicki and Matt not have parents either?

Premiere Rating: 6.5/10

(photo: cwtv.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment