Monday, September 7, 2009

Greek: A Different World


Greek:
"Our Fathers"

I announced months ago how excited I was when I heard that Kadeem Hardison a.k.a. Dwayne Wayne from A Different World guest starring as Ashleigh's dad. I was a big fan of A Different World back in the day, so it is awesome to see an actor from that show on my current favorite show about college. Also, since Greek relies heavily on relationship shipping (Casey/Cappie, Casey/Evan, Casey/Max, Cappie/Rebecca, Rusty/Jordan--wait, are there actually any Rusty/Jordan shippers?), I feel like it's somewhat relevant to mention that Dwayne Wayne and Whitley Gilbert was probably one of the first TV relationships of which I was ever a shipper. (Remember when Dwayne crashed her wedding to that Byron guy? That was so amazing!)

Because I loved A Different World so much, I actually would have liked to see more of Kadeem Hardison in Greek. I'm not really sure what I would have liked for them to have him do though--it's not like they could suddenly re-center the whole show around Ashleigh's dad. Maybe if they'd just given him some flip-up sunglasses to wear...

Can't resist embedding A Different World's fantastic opening credits, just for old time's sake:



Anyway, Greek:
  • The KT game of totally silent charades is entertaining.
  • Cappie: "Well, as far as I know, Casey and I both have two working kidneys."
  • Rebecca: "Well, with my dad, extramarital sex with hookers is always a conversational option."
  • Poor Casey--her knowing about Fisher and Rebecca when Ash doesn't is not a fun situation to be in.
  • Dale: "Yeah, but I had sex! With my landlady!"
  • Pastor Dan really didn't give much thoughtful, helpful guidance.
  • Rusty's dad: "You know those Friday nights we used to hang out and we'd say, 'It's too bad Joan of Arcadia isn't a real girl because Joe Mantegna and Mary Steenburgen would love you.'"
  • I LOVE that they did a callback to the Joan of Arcadia story. That still cracks me up.
  • What is Rebecca doing?! Wow, she really is just not happy unless everyone hates her.
  • As a general rule, if you're going to tell someone something horrible, you probably shouldn't do it when she's standing atop a ladder!! That's just dangerous.
  • Why is Rusty telling Jordan's dad about the first time he drank tequila? This is pathetic.
  • Calvin: "Make it stop, please."
  • Dale: "She was making noises like a banshee. It was like a farm animal in late-stage labor."
  • Mary Elise: "Why don't you join me at mass tonight?"
    Dale: "Alright, I'll be there, but I won't be doing an kneeling."
    Cappie: "Don't worry, I will."
  • Rebecca: "I don't not have a big old butt!"
  • Poor Ashleigh--this should be about her, but it's turned into round 1,000 of Casey vs. Rebecca.
  • Rebecca: "At least I didn't sleep with a 16-year-old!"
    Mr. Cartwright: "O.M.G!"
  • As much as Rebecca irks me, I'm glad somebody else still remembers Casey's debacle with the 16-year-old. Because that's still not ok.
  • Rusty: "So I just have to help you lose? I can do that!"
  • Calvin: "Oh, Rus, Rus! Don't let him see you run."
  • Didn't Ashleigh give her loser ex-boyfriend all kinds of extra chances? Why's she being so decisive and uncompromising now? Is there more to the story here?
  • Dale: "You know, the idolatry wasn't nearly as distracting as I was expecting!"
  • Dale: "Especially due to our shared pasts with the same woman." (Blank look from Cappie) "Casey. Casey Cartwright."
  • Why is Jordan's dad in the dorm?
  • Mary Elise: "As for your messages, Dale, I didn't appreciate your threatening tone."
  • Ashleigh's dad: "Yeah, wide open like your daughter!"
  • Casey (on The Sun Also Rises): "And then he got his junk blown off in World War I... "
  • Ash's dad: "You wouldn't have caught it; you're wearing sandals!"
  • Cappie: "Have I walked into a transgendered Cathy comic?"
    Dale: "Ack."

(Greek photo: abcfamily.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment