Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Glee: Chenoweth Schools the Kids


Glee:
"The Rhodes Not Taken"
This episode was fantastic. I didn't realize how much I like Kristin Chenoweth until she showed up on Glee playing April Rhodes, the most talented singer in the school's history who quit school a few credits before she graduated. Of course I adored Pushing Daisies, and she was fantastic in it (and very much deserved her Emmy award), but there were so many things I adored about Pushing Daisies that I'm not sure I was fully aware of how much I liked Chenoweth.
Chenoweth was great on Glee. She was hilarious, and she pulled off three absolutely show-stopping numbers. I'm thinking she's going to follow up her Emmy for Best Supporting Actress with one for Best Guest Star.
Highlights and observations:

  • We're back to "Don't Stop Believing." Ooh, but with Quinn instead of Rachel. This version wasn't working as well, even before Quinn had to take a vomit break.
  • Puck: "That Rachel chick makes me what to light myself on fire, but she can sing."
  • This waiter is a six-year senior so he can stay in Vocal Adrenaline because he's the only one who can do the triple flip! Ha! I knew there was some funny business going on with that group.
  • Sometimes my bangs do that weird flippy thing that Emma's bangs are doing right now, but I don't try it. And I try to stop it from happening.
  • Eew, this newspaper kid is gross. Trying to blackmail Rachel into showing him her bra.
  • Oh, Finn is crafty! Very good manipulative strategy.
  • Emma: "...and two months later, Versace was dead."
  • Wow, April's got a nice house! And she's an alcoholic. And she's a squatter.
  • Chenoweth's looking good. Her hair looks very nice.
  • Will: "We'll get you sobered up and find you some underwear. It's not too late for you."
  • Sorry, kids, I'm pretty sure Chenoweth can kick Rachel's butt ;-) (And I love Rachel.)
  • The juxtaposition of April and Rachel singing the same song is really cool.
  • Lol at the glee kids' stunned reaction to April's performance.
  • Will: "You draw a lot of attention to yourself and they're embarrassed enough as it is."
  • Lol at April's efforts to win the kids over. Especially showing Mercedes and Tina how to steal groceries by holding them between their thighs.
  • Finn: "You know what we should do?"
    Rachel: "Elope?"
  • Ha! Kurt's looking rough.
  • Kurt (to Emma): "Oh, Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy."
  • Emma says Kurt "looks like an 11-year-old milkmaid."
  • Emma's a buzzkill, let April stay in glee!
  • April: "These high school boys are a lot hotter than they used to be."
  • Wow, April and Wow are show-stoppers. Their rendition of "Alone" is fantastic. Those lucky bingo players!
  • Kurt: "Maybe Quinn is lactose intolerant!"
  • Puck: "I bet you thought Burt and Ernie were just roommates."
  • Wow, what a look of devastation on Rachel's face.
  • Sue! She's been MIA in this episode.
  • What is with these costumes?
  • Ha at the country line dancing. They're good. But I'm thinking that Chenoweth could probably make pretty much anybody look good.
  • Invitationals are very well attended.
  • Will: "And, hey, there's always Branson."
  • Kurt: "You were right, Mr. Schue. April would massacre Mariah in a diva-off."
  • Kind of a lengthy intermission, huh?
  • This April-less version of "Somebody To Love" ain't bad either. And Rachel sure picked up the choreography fast.
  • Yea for Mercedes! I don't understand why she doesn't get more of the solos.
  • Good episode! Lots of singing.
Song list: "Maybe This Time" (April and Rachel), "Alone" (April and Will), "Last Name" (April and New Directions), "Somebody to Love" (New Directions)
(photo: fox.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment