Thursday, September 17, 2009

Premiere Watch '09: Community

Community:
"Pilot"

I loved, loved, loved Community's pilot episode. It was fantastic and hilarious. It's a sign that a comedy is awesome when I'm trying to write down the funny lines and I end up writing down basically the entire script, and I totally did that for this episode.

I adored Jeff's "Shark Week" motivational speech. That speech was definitely the best persuasive oratory I've seen on TV in a long time that wasn't delivered by Don Draper.

I was already a Joel McHale fan because of The Soup, and he was great in Community (plus the Seacrest joke was a nice shout out to The Soup). I loved Troy, Abed and Duncan as well.

If this show continues to be this funny on a weekly basis, you can definitely count me in! It might even inspire me to consider enrolling in a community college just for kicks. Well, probably not.

Highlights and observations:


  • The guy standing up close to the stage listening to the dean looks cute from the back.
  • I liked how they used the dean's speech as snappy way to give quick introductions to the characters.
  • Dean: "That's what you've heard, however...I wish you luck!!!"
  • Abed: "My dad is Palestinian. He's an American citizen. He's not a threat to national security or anything. Most people want to know that after meeting him because he gives off an angry energy. Not angry at America; angry at my mom for leaving him."
  • Jeff: "Abed, nice to know you and then meet you in that order."
  • Jeff's got an interesting look: Adidas athletic pants, collared dress shirt, sweater and suit jacket.
  • They've got a rather nice looking cafeteria.
  • Jeff: "Oh, sorry, I was raised on TV and I was conditioned to believe that every black woman over 50 is a cosmic mentor."
  • Abed: "Oh, a text message! Let's give this bad boy a read! I've never gotten one of these before..."
  • I loved Abed reading "Say you have to pee; I need to talk to you" to everyone on the room multiple times.
  • Abed: "'Say you have to pee; I need to talk to you.'"
    Jeff: "Do you have to pee?"
    Abed: "No!"
    Jeff: "Well, then I'm stumped."
  • The professor's text message: "Con-4-s-8-tion on football field now!!!"
  • Jeff: "I discovered at a very early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I'm God or truth is relative. In either case, booyah!"
  • Duncan: "Interesting, it's just that the average person has a much harder time saying 'booyah' to moral relativism."
  • Duncan: "I'm a professor! You can't talk to me like that way!"
    Jeff: "A 6-year-old girl could talk to you that way!"
    Duncan: "Yes, because that would be adorable!"
  • Troy: "That means you do my homework, right Seacrest?"
  • Jeff: "I'm going to go to the bathroom and bring my jacket, wallet and keys with me...in case there's a fire."
  • Pierce calling Annie "Princess Elizabeth"
  • Aww, it's Trudy Campbell from Mad Men! Maybe she should stand up and do the Charleston like she did on MM with Pete.
  • Jeff: "Pierce! Let's discuss this creepiness."
  • Pierce: "Sexual harassment! That makes no sense. Why would I harass somebody who turns me on?"
  • Troy: "Keg flip! They're very hard to pull off!"
  • Lol, Abed's quoting Breakfast Club. And finishing it up with "Nobody puts Baby in the corner."
  • Jeff: "Bluffs this weak are how your people lost the colonies."
  • Duncan: "Take this car--it's good for the environment."
    Jeff: "Yeah, so is wiping your butt with a leaf, but it's not how a man gets around!"

  • Jeff: "You know what makes humans different from other animals?"
    Troy: "Feet!"
    Pierce: "No, bears have feet."

  • Jeff: "We're the only species that observes Shark Week. Sharks don't even observe Shark Week. ...It's the same reason I can pick up this pencil, name it Steve and do this and a little bit of you dies. We can connect with anything. We can sympathize with a pencil, we can forgive a shark and we can give Ben Affleck an Academy Award for screenwriting. People can find the good in just about anything but themselves."

  • Jeff: "And don't test her on that because that thing about the jukebox was way too specific to be improvised."

  • Jeff: "You are all better than you think you are, you're just designed not to believe it when you hear it from yourself."

  • That speech was actually pretty fantastic.

  • Jeff: "I was a lawyer!"
    Group: "Ohhh. That explains everything."

  • Troy (laughing): "Asperger's."

  • Duncan: "Before you say anything, you might want to think about the gift you've been given."

  • Jeff: "An excuse to punch a hippie?"

  • At least Jeff got his car back.

  • Troy: "Wow, you just wrinkled my brain, man."

  • Troy: "You seem pretty smart; you've got a sports coat."

  • Abed: "What's going on? Can you guys hear me? Am I deaf? Can you hear me talking right now?"

  • Abed: "I'm sorry I called you Michael Douglas, and I see your value now."

  • I adore the cover of "Don't You (Forget About Me)" that they played at the very end.

Premiere Rating: 9.0/10

(Photo: NBC)

No comments:

Post a Comment