Monday, September 1, 2008

Premiere Watch '08: Gossip Girl


Gossip Girl: Summer, Kind of Wonderful

Gossip Girl is back!

Unfortunately, this good news is being tempered by the concurrent bad news that summer is over. And that development is seriously depressing. Luckily, I'll have Chuck Bass to help me through it.

Unluckily for me, it seems that GG's masterminds have decided to drag out the Blair/Chuck saga while rushing along the Serena/Dan reunion. Probably a wise decision, because Chuck and Blair (and the actors playing them) can sustain an emotional, drawn out separation, while a separated Serena and Dan would just look whiny. Not that they don't look whiny when they're together.

Nevertheless, the Chuck/Blair angst is torturous. The scenes after dinner and outside the party were both heart wrenching. Chuck was just adorable in the one outside the party. He was so tortured, so insecure, so gorgeous...

Chuck: "I was scared."
Blair: "Why?"
Chuck: "I was scared that if we spent the whole summer together, you'd see."
Blair: "See what?"
Chuck: "Me."

He totally won me back, but I can't honestly say that he ever actually succeeded in alienating me.

Other thoughts:
  • I'm glad GG is back just so they'll start showing promos other than the one of Blair saying "A hot lifeguard is like Kleenex--use once, then throw away!"
  • Ugh, Dan, I did not miss you.
  • It is nice to hear Kristen Bell's narration again.
  • Dan needs to start naming his stories by something other than dates.
  • Gossip Girl: "A man is a good thing to come home for, but an even better thing to come home with."
  • Gossip Girl: "Isn't karma a bitch? We know Blair Waldorf is."
  • Blair: "The only thing lamer than dating Dan Humphrey is mourning Dan Humphrey."
  • Serena is so not smooth. "Whose James?"
  • Blair: "I bet you'll like him just as much as I do!"
    Chuck: "If by that, you mean 'not at all,' then you're right."
  • Dan got an internship with a writer? Do those even exist?
  • Blair got some serious hair extensions in France.
  • Nice mint green suit Chuck's got on there...
  • Chuck should have noticed that Blair was starting to cry while telling him off, which would be an inappropriate reaction if she really didn't like him.
  • Couldn't Dan write a story about something else? Perhaps that would be a little easier for him. If he can't write a story unless it's about a major life event he's just been through, then he's going to have a problem in the future unless he has a very, very eventful life.
  • Jenny's dress looks better on her than it did on the hanger at least.
  • Grandma van der Woodsen has had quite an attitude transformation.
  • James: "It's no wonder you hate Charade--it hits too close to home."
  • Whose clothing is Dan wearing? I think it's Chuck's. He he he. (Oh, boo, it turns out to be Serena's grandfather's suit from the '70s.)
  • Ha! For once Dan's holy-than-thou attitude get shoved back in his face when his two summer hook-ups tell him off in front of Serena.
  • James is actually a lord! Ha ha ha ha, this is so The Prince Is Me!
  • Blair: "Not quite, my lord!"
  • Hey, I just realized what I liked about this episode: no Vanessa!
  • Wait, in the promo, did Nate's girlfriend say she was a duchess too? She's not the mother of "James," is she? Eew.

Premiere Rating: 7.5/10

(photo: cwtv.com)

5 comments:

  1. ahhh, I'm trying to get my hands on this episode as I type! Hopefully I will have some comments soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how Dan used to be all shy and waiting for the perfect girl and now he's just a slutty slut hooking up with loads of girls over the summer. "Playboy"? ew

    Haha that whole dates for titles thing is lame, you're so right.

    Whoa, harsh beginning for Chuck with Blair and that dude! I felt so bad for him!

    "The only thing lamer than dating Dan Humphrey is dating then mourning Dan Humphrey." Yes! Blair has such good lines.

    Chuck: "You're lying."
    B: "I am not!"
    C: "Your eyes are doing that thing where they don't match your mouth."
    B: "I wasn't aware that robots got jealous. Did they update your software while I was away?"

    Those two are so passive aggressive sexy!

    Eric: (to Chuck) "How well do you know Blair Waldorf is kind of boring for those of us who actually know Blair Waldorf."
    Grandma Vander Woodsen: "Not to mention, transparent."

    Ahhh! When Blair said, "My pin must have gotten caught on your sweater by mistake," and then "Neither did I" (response to his "I didn't feel anything.") I almost freaked out!

    Why is Nate screwing a married woman?

    Motherchucker, Chuckbastard. haha

    Oh damn! I loved Dan getting called out by the two girls in front of Serena after being all holier than thou! She better get him checked for STDs before taking him back!

    Points for Serena's g'ma though.

    "I'm British and a Lord," say what?@!!?! That British accent sounds a bit phony though... ;)

    Poor Chuck! I'll help him!

    Overall, pretty predictable that S and Dan got back together, but not too bad for a beginning.

    What are the previews for next week????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, Ashley!!!! I am going to send you an email that is not able GG in the near future, so that our entire relationship doesn't revolve around GG, but until then:

    Ha ha ha about checking Dan for STDs. Do you think he was actually sleeping with all these girls or just making out with them amongst the bookshelves? Because, remember, he's all, "I didn't sleep with Georgina, but I may as well have." I don't think he knows what is going on.

    Have you met anyone pretending to be a normal American who turns out to be a British lord? You're right that his "fake" American accent sounded better than his "real" British one.

    The preview they showed was of Blair talking to the lord guy and asking to meet his parents (the duke and the duchess). He does not seem convinced that she's good enough to meet them yet. Then (and this is the part I was confused about) there was a clip of Chuck introducing Blair to Nate's married girlfriend and Blair says something snippy reguarding the girlfriend's botox. Then, I think, the girlfriend introduces herself as Duchess Somebody and Blair is horrified that she insulted her. So I don't know if they're suggesting that Nate's girlfriend is the lord's (step)mom?

    Why IS Nate screwing an older woman? I don't know; I think they just put it in the show to be extra sensational because they're marketing the show as "very bad for you" now.

    So how do you watch the episodes anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Ann! It's so good to talk to you again :)

    Maybe you're right about Dan, he's not suave enough to have actually slept with any of them, just to insinuate that he's done slutty things when he's actually just been kissing.

    You're probably right, that she is the 'Lord's' step-mum, they like connected stuff 'sneakily' like that, and we haven't heard her hubby talk at all.

    I download the episodes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ash, are you going to check out the new 90210? It's no Gossip Girl, but it's all right.

    I read that next week's episode of GG is supposed to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete