Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Premiere Watch '08: Bones

Bones: "Yanks in the U.K."

So how excited was I when--for the first time in history--an episode of Bones aired that was not directly conflicting with the airings of one, two, or three of my favorite TV shows? Even better, the two-hour premiere of Bones was filmed on location in jolly old London.

There was a lot of like in this premiere episode, although I'll admit to tiring out a bit and losing some of my attention span during the second hour. These two-hour premieres are kind of exhausting. I guess I need to start getting back into prime TV-watching shape, because there will soon come a day when I'll be expected to plow through at least 3 hours of television a night. Petering out after 1.5 hours will not be an option.

Although I am an ardent London-lover, I think my favorite part of the episode was the goings on back at the Smithsonian. How adorable was that Clark guy, who--try as he might to avoid it--kept getting sucked into the personal sagas of the other lab workers? And then, of course, there was John Francis Daley, whom I love and adore. Who would have guessed that pathetic Sam Weir would now have two doctorates at such a young age?

Highlights and Funny Quotes:

  • I'm calling BS: British tabloids wouldn't censor out the heiress' boobs in the picture. The British tabs do not have any qualms about printing pictures of boobs.
  • Hodgins: "British slime--so much more proper than American slime."
  • I thought the Jeffersonian had top-notch security; how did Grayson get in?
  • Dr. Wexler: "But I shall check my diary to see if I killed her."
  • Cam: "But he is some kind of god...the best kind."
  • How come the ex-spouses never seem to want to sign the divorce papers?
  • Uh oh, a British bad boy royal named Harry...this is trouble ;-)
  • Why are they driving a car in London in the first place? Take a taxi or the tube. And, honestly, I don't remember ever seeing a London's street so uncrowded.
  • Booth: "The royals hate bastards."
    Bones: "Only the ones who don't make king."
  • Grayson throwing Hodgins into the garbage truck.
  • Angela and Sweets' discussion about his anecdote about the Ninja Turtle toy and the neighbor boy. Sweets: "You're the gay neighbor boy."
  • Hodgins: "Did Angela's ex get off okay?"
    Cam: "Whoa, sorry?"
  • Booth getting headbutted. What is this, Shameless?
  • They are spending an awful lot of time at pubs and cafes next to the Thames. How did I miss those when I was in London? (Well, I guess it was January...)
  • Booth: "No, it doesn't make sense. People don't kill someone with a bone symbolically, even in England."
  • Can't Angela and Hodgins stay together and work on trusting each other? Does this have to be a now or never thing? Slow the break up train down, people. (I hate it when TV shows rush a break up like this.)
  • Grayson: "I heard you broke up with the small, angry man."
  • Clark offering to take Grayson to the airport and saying, "I just want to work at a regular lab." (I liked Clark; he was funny.)

Premiere Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment