Monday, September 15, 2008

Gossip Girl: When the Lights Go Out


Gossip Girl: The Dark Night

Hmm, well, I think the main story here was what Chuck said to Blair in his attempt to seduce her. Holy heck, that exchange was hot. Mercy.

But B and C getting caught making out by Marcus wasn't so great. And I know Blair is ruthless and says whatever she needs to say, but I was shocked when she told Marcus that she thought Chuck was him (although upon a second viewing, it did sound like Chuck used a British accent! Come the hell on, Chuck!). I love Blair, but if she had stuck to that story, I would have lost some serious respect for her. Obviously, she knew it was Chuck; he's shorter and hotter than Marcus, and she's certainly kissed both of them enough to be able to distinguish between the two. And pretending that you were almost tricked into having sex with someone (which seems an awful lot like rape) just isn't a good thing to do.

At least Chuck finally realized that he was "blocked" not because he just wanted to sleep with Blair but because he wants to be with Blair (I kind of thought he already knew that, but I guess he forgot). So does Marcus kissing Blair at the end signify that he's taking her back? No surprise here (as I am an ardent Chuck lover), but I've had my fill of Lord Marcus. And his crazy stepmom.
Speaking of the crazy duchess, I thought she told Vanessa that if she couldn't have Nate, she'd kill him. We know that Vanessa doesn't take bribes (see the whole video tape incident of early 2008), so I figured she must have threatened something pretty awful to get V to back off. In actuality, she just threatened to tip off the FBI about Nate's dad's whereabouts. That's certainly a nasty thing to do, but Nate should never have told her where his dad was. Also, I wouldn't have a problem if Mr. Archibald was dragged off to the slammer, so it's not that great of a threat in my opinion.

As for Dan and Serena: guess what, they're still "in love" but breaking up anyway (for the same reasons as always). I don't know why Dan can't just make an effort to better deal with the Fabulous Life of Serena van der Woodsen and the perks it entails. But, unlike those poor Team Dan and Team Serena girls they ran into in the park, I've given up on trying to figure out this situation.

  • How clever of the Gossip Girl soundtrack people to play Santogold's "Lights Out" in an episode about a blackout.
  • Blair's hosting another party?!
  • Marcus: "You're a delicate little flower; nothing like that tart Keira Knightley."
  • Should Catherine be parading Nate around in fancy stores in the city? Couldn't people see them? I thought they were going to be sneaky.
  • Dan's imaginary new friend "Clyde."
  • Sorry, even with a cougar duchess thrown into the mix, I still have a hard time paying attention to Nate and Vanessa.
  • Even Dorota reads Gossip Girl?
  • Oh no, Blair's tipping the duchess off about Vanessa. Ha.
  • Random flight attendants fly in from Tokyo just to have sex with Chuck? I'm trying to decide if I'm surprised about that or not...
  • The little Team Dan and Team Serena girls were funny. ("How can you get back with Serena again? Don't you know she's just going to lie to you again?")

  • Blair: "And for the record, whatever you're planning with Nate, my bedroom floor's off limits."

  • Serena: "Who was that?"
    Chuck: "The whiff of the Far East."

  • Serena: "You are not using Blair as sexual Drano!"

  • Chuck: "Congrats on you and Humphrey. Water always finds its own level."

  • Yea Margaret Colin!!! I just love her. (And according to Ausiello, she's going to get Clueless' Mr. Hall as a love interest? He's sweet and all, but no Eric Close.)

  • Smart Nate now realizes that the duchess and Blair are setting him up. He's getting good at sniffing out the schemes of others.

  • Dan reading the "should they or shouldn't they" threads on the Gossip Girl site.

  • Dan: "It turns out most people think I'm an ass, but a passionate minority hold I'm just an idiot."

  • Blair: "Marcus tells the funniest story about Harry running naked across their lawn."

  • Blair's dress is lovely.

  • Chuck: "Have sex with me."
    Blair: "What?"
    Chuck: "Just once, that's all I need."
    Blair: "You are disgusting, and I hate you."
    Chuck: "Then why are you still holding my hand?"

  • Catherine: "I don't like sharing my toys, especially if I've paid for them."

  • The duchess holds Nate's hand in a room full of people? Someone needs to teach her the definition of sneaky.

  • Nate actually thinks "She's giving me money!" is an appropriate excuse in this situation?

  • Catherine: "Blair, have you seen Nate?"
    Blair: "Um, no, it's a blackout."

  • Dan: "Do you think there's like a box that says 'open in the event of a Serena van der Woodsen emergency'?"

  • Gossip Girl: "I hope you kept the receipt for that tiara, B."

  • Rufus' date, Claire, is quite youthful.

  • Next week, what I would most love to see is Anne Archibald finally proving that she is actually a mother by charging in and declaring that for no amount of money will she whore out her only son. I won't hold my breath though.

It's Headband Monday! Today I wore this tri-colored silk one:




(Gossip Girl photo: cwtv.com)

2 comments:

  1. Yeesh, getting very tired of the whole Dan/Serena thing, just pick one way and stick with it.

    I think Marcus thinks Blair is a lot more innocent than she really is.

    Why is Catherine parading Nate around in Ralph Lauren? Obvious much?

    "Coming Out Party"?

    I love how someone always passes by at the right moment to get the right photo...

    Nate wants to make him and Vanessa work... while he is having an affair with a rich married woman?? "Secrets don't keep long in this heat."

    Wow, when did Blair become so accurate about Dan and Serena's non-talking relationship?

    Yay! Eleanor is back!

    I like the whole air conditioning theme.

    "Most people think I'm an ass, but a passionate minority think I'm just an idiot." Yes, yes we do.

    Rufus is sneaky! Left your phone at the gallery....

    Marcus, Marcus, Marcus... yeesh.

    Ahhh, Chuck is so seductive!

    I thought Jenny was supposed to clean her station? But she's still there when the lights go out?

    "You lied to me and you're sleeping with some Mrs. Robinson. And while on the Upper East Side that might be totally normal, I didn't sign up for some creepy love triangle between you and someone's Mom!" I actually liked Vanessa in that moment.... except then she took Nate back...

    How does the Duchess know B and Marcus aren't having sex?

    I agree, why doesn't Dan enjoy Serena's perks?

    Chuck totally put on a British accent!

    At least some grown-ups are back in the picture now, I was wondering if they would ever return, do you think Lily and Bart will ever come back?

    I wonder what will happen next week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you'd think that Bart and Lily would be coming home soon. They've been on the longest honeymoon ever.

    So are you in the "idiot" camp or the "ass" camp regarding Dan? I think he's both. ;-)

    The previews for next week showed that school is starting up again. Blair told Serena that she needs to get a date before Dan does so she "wins" but it seemed that Dan already found a new date. Then they were all at a bar (they are still 17, right?) and Chuck told Dan that he was about to see "the old Serena" back again. Then Serena tells Dan to leave. There wasn't anything that was all that exciting.

    ReplyDelete