Monday, August 6, 2007

Kyle XY: We're not twelve-year-olds at summer camp.


Kyle XY:
Lori's having a bit of a rough time getting over her attack, so she.... decides to go hang out in the woods right near the former Zzyzx headquarters. Wow. For once I agree with Declan; that was a really horrible idea...and an extremely slap-dash, ill-conceived and heavy handed plot device on the part of the writers. But once you got past the stupid premise, this episode was rather good.

Hmm, this episode did, however, bring my hopes for a Loryle hook-up crashing down around me, a la the weird, automatic metal doors in the old underground Zzyzx headquarters. My bet is that the Kyle XY execs realized there have been some Lori/Kyle sparks flying the last few eps and decided to squash them as hard as they could in this ep. Why else would Kyle make such a point of calling Lori his "sister" and Lori make such a point of calling Kyle her "brother." There were three sibling references in the episode. Crap!

Not that Kyle really has much room in his life for Lori now that both Amanda and Jessi want him. But question: did Jessi suddenly forsake Declan for Kyle because Zzyzx reprogrammed her, or because she got a good look at Declan's hideous shirt? What was that thing? I welcomed the ill-conceived outing to the woods just because it meant he would put a jacket over that weird, shiny thing.

Notables:

  • Kern was back. I had forgotten all about him. He was a jerk!
  • Josh: "Tell her 'no' and feel free to slap her upside the head."
  • Declan: "We're not twelve-year-olds at summer camp." (Declan speaking reason kind of disconcerts me sometimes.)
  • Amanda: "Kyle's totally Fred, minus the blond hair and the scarf." (Whoa, Amanda said something funny! Write down the day!)
  • Andy: "I can't believe you brought Sour Patch Kids, but no matches." (Oh, Andy, if you had seen an episode of Kyle XY before, you'd believe it. Trust me.)
  • The reprogramming was unnecessary. Even if Jessi hadn't been in love with Kyle before, she definitely would have been after he saved her in the tunnel. Who wouldn't be after that?
  • More proof that Kyle XY has tapped into my iPod: the use of "Fire Island AK" and "The Funeral," two of the songs from my Best Songs of 2006 play list. (And, incidentally, the second time today I've heard "The Funeral" used; the first was in the trailer for the movie Penelope, which I really want to see...but we'll save discussing my undying love for James McAvoy for another time.)
  • So the real person we're not supposed to trust is Taylor? That's kind of anticlimactic since we haven't even seen that guy in weeks.
  • And we finally kind of have an explanation for Andy's headaches. Perhaps Josh will learn some life lessons from this situation--he needs a few.

I realize that TV shows about boys with superpowers don't tend to like letting the girls on the show know anything at all, but it seems to me like Kyle would have much fewer problems if he let Lori and Amanda in the loop a little bit. For one, there would be no daytrips to abandoned tunnels. Also, Amanda would understand that Kyle can withstand more methane exposure than the rest of them. And, next week, she wouldn't be taking a page out of the Lois Lane Handbook for Girlfriends of Superheroes and bitching Kyle out for missing a date because he was off dealing with some superhero problem.

Sweetest Exchange of the Night:
Amanda: Does this mean that you're impressed with me too?
Kyle: I'm always impressed with you.

Greek:

I didn't enjoy this episode as much as I liked last week's. There were, after all, no references to running on vomit :-)

Rusty's new girlfriend was cute. It was nice that Casey's boyfriend got to be not a complete jerk this episode. Dale (Clark and Michael's Clark) stole the show. My favorite part was when he was trying to have a conversation a dumb kid at the party was like, "You go to college?" Ha ha. I definitely ran into a few kids I was baffled were college students during my college career too.

My Boys:
I loved the comparison of Bobby to "a young Harry Hamlin." Hilarious. Too bad Harry Hamlin scares the crap out of me thanks to Veronica Mars.

No comments:

Post a Comment