Thursday, May 1, 2008

Wildfire: The End Is Near

Wildfire: "Vows"
Well, let's just say that as soon as I started to watch this episode of Wildfire, I realized that I missed this show more than I care to admit. I mean, I graduated summa cum laude and it's Wildfire. But, whatever, I've decided that for these last five epsidoes, I'm going to stop trying to rationalize why I enjoy this show and just enjoy it.

There were several moments in tonight's episode where it seemed pretty obvious that Wildfire is well aware that there are a finite number of episodes left. The plot lines were speeding right along (a la Junior in his Porshe). There were a number of things that were dealt with quickly that under normal soap opera circumstances would probably have been dragged out for an agonizing number of episodes. I mean, Junior got Kris her racing license back before the opening credits even rolled! And then Kris and Junior had a talk about how they need to tell Matt that they're back together as soon as possible, and then Kris just flat out tells him the next time she sees him! After seeing the whole you-tell-him, I'll-tell-him, I-didn't-tell-him, you-need-to-do-it saga play out so many times on so many shows, it seemed kind of amazing to see someone just cowboy up and tell the truth.

I feel a little bit awful for Kris and Junior. Like Kris said (with absolutely the correct inflection), their relationship upsets EVERYBODY. I understand why Matt would have an issue with it, and, too a smaller extent, why Jean might also disapprove, but Pablo? Come on, dude, get over it. I'm not quite sure why Jean and Pablo both seem positive that Kris and Junior can't have a relationship and still do their jobs. I understand that running a ranch and training horses might both be require a substantial time commitment, but it's not like they're the President of the United States or playing Sydney Bristow on Alias--they have to have some free time! Plus, it's a tremendous double standard that Pablo told Kris she couldn't work for Raintree and love Junior right before he, who is a partner in Davis Farms, was about to tell Jean, who owns Raintree, that he loves her.

Nevertheless, I'm fairly confident that Junior and Kris will prevail (the scenes in the promos of their wedding seems to confirm my suspicions). Not sure if Jean's going to make it, although I image she will since killing her off in the last episodes of the show would be extremely dark.

Before I get to the bullets: I've previously mentioned that the acting on this show isn't exactly Emmy-caliber, but I do want to note that I thought Nana Visitor (I still cannot believe that's her name) did a great job of playing post-coma Jean. So often on TV shows, characters wake up from comas and a few minutes later seem ready to run a marathon, but Jean actually acted like she's just woken up from a coma. She was talking quietly, looked drained, coughed occasionally...it was actually quite novel.
  • Whoa, Junior and Kris definitely shouldn't be making out while speeding down the highway...that's a little dangerous.
  • Junior: "Ok, let's start with the cons."
    Kris: "Ok, well, we're really young."
    Junior: "Not if this were 1956."
    Kris: "And we've never officially been together for more than a few weeks."
    Junior: "This is fun. Let's move on to the pros."
  • My limited Wildfire background is showing: Is there a history between Matt and Dani that I don't know about? His "nothing about us ever scared me" comment seemed laden with meaning.
  • I hope Kris hasn't been spending her time away from racing eating too many burgers and chocolates, or she's not going to make weight to be a jockey at the upcoming race.
  • I'm still loving the clip in the promo of Matt tackling Junior on horseback and the two of them falling into the river.

(photo: abcfamily.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment