Monday, May 19, 2008

Wildfire: Preparing for the Last Race


Wildfire: "The Ties that Bind Part 1"

I'll begin with the obligatory reference to The O.C.: If you're going to give your episode the same title as the iconic season 1 finale of The O.C., you'd better bring it.

And, for the most part, I think this penultimate episode of Wildfire did bring it. The beginning seemed a little slow, but the last half was pretty bangin'.

Although I never want to be in agreement with Matt, I'm not on board with the move to Alaska. Alaska? Can't we find a "geothermal energy project" to work on a little closer to home? I mean, Junior managed the darn wind turbine project from his living room. I'm also not a big fan of people moving away in the series finale for the sake of moving away in the series finale. And I guess I'm also just personally leery of having to make such life-changing decisions on such short notice. The whole thing makes me a little nervous. Although, to be fair, Marin Frist moved to Alaska on Men In Trees, and everything worked out quite nicely for her (until ABC started to mercilessly eff with her show).

The episode's other big development was that Kris is going to bring Wildfire back for her farewell race. I should be embarrassed to admit how awfully excited I was about the prospects of Wildfire coming out of retirement. I believe my exact thought process was along the lines of, "Wildfire!!! WOOooo! Race him! Yea!" Yep. I'm 23. Moving on...

The army of people fighting tooth-and-nail against a Kris/Junior marriage finally backed off (with the exception of Mr. Davis), and everything else was beginning to fall into place with Pablo finally kissing Jean and Matt kissing Dani, when: we discover that Wildfire is not only missing, but has been stolen!

It would seem that the obvious culprit is Mr. Davis, Sr., since he acted like nothing but a world-class jerk all episode long. I mean, whoa, no wonder Dani's so down on the man. Firing Kris as Tamarack's jockey was just nasty. And then calling her an opportunistic ex-con at the bar was just ridiculous. Thank goodness Junior took the opportunity to cut his father out of their lives for good after that. Enough is enough.

Highlights:
  • So Tamarack's good enough for the Kentucky Derby, huh? Sweet.
  • Matt's determination to enter Flame in races he's ill-suited for made me very nervous. You can't make those kind of mistakes in a world where horses die from broken legs.
  • Geothermal energy projects are the new wind turbines.
  • Matt is acting like a jerk, but to be fair, he keeps getting worse and worse news thrown at him--first Kris and Junior are dating, then they're engaged, then they're getting married imminently, now they're moving to Alaska... That is a lot to take in.
  • No, Matt, I don't think Kris moving to Alaska is the stupidest thing you've ever heard. Unless you can't hear the crap that's coming out of your own mouth half the time.
  • Wait, Junior's mom and Dani's mom are not the same person? Whoa, more back story I don't know about. I keep getting confused and thinking that Dani is older than Junior.
  • Kris: "I can taste the turf on Churchill Downs I want it so badly." Eew.
  • The look Pablo gave Matt when he snapped at Dani was funny.
  • I'd say it's always a triumph if a show can get by with writing a scene in which, for several minutes, the characters do nothing but yell, "Go [title of the show]! Yea [title of the show]!" I'm having a hard time coming up with other shows that could pull that off. Veronica Mars maybe, but it would have been a weird moment.
  • Hey, (speaking of Veronica Mars...) it's the "All My Life" lady! Her name is apparently Lissie, although the song is listed under DJ Harry on my iPod.
  • Just when I was thinking that they were doing a pretty good job to hiding real life Dani's pregnancy, she showed up at the bar looking rather pregnant. It's a little disconcerting watching her "drink" alcoholic beverages.
  • So there's no age limit for the horses in this race?
  • Junior: "I'm laying down the law: no swan napkins and plenty of barbecue." (Ha! His dislike of the swan napkins was one of the highlights of the season, I think.)
  • Whoa, Matt and Junior just made a truce? Matt is listening to reason? Wha?
  • Hey! Pablo finally kissed Jean! It's about freaking time.
  • Matt: "Look! Mom and, uh, Pablo. Pablo!"
    Dani: "Oh, Matt, everyone knows, honey."
  • Now Matt and Dani are kissing too! I do rather like them together, actually.
  • Junior: "Do you think I can change my name to Furlow? I'm not really loving being a Davis anymore."
    Kris: "Well, Furlows aren't really role models either."
Ok, next week all we've got to do is get Wildfire back, win the Tucker Stakes, and get Kris and Junior married. Let's do it, Team Raintree.
(photo: abcfamily.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment