Monday, May 12, 2008

Gossip Girl: Sending in the Cavalry


Gossip Girl: "Woman on the Verge"
After several weeks of building the suspense, Serena's secret was finally revealed, and then promptly dealt with in about 20 minutes. See, S? It wasn't worth all the fuss.

So, as expected, Serena only "killed someone" in the loosest definition of the phrase. She finally told Blair, Nate, and Chuck, then Blair told Lily, and then Lily made her confront the situation by talking to dead Pete's parents. And, when they told her they knew he was an addict and didn't blame her, that was that. Except, of course, that Georgina, in total psycho-Oliver-fashion, was making up stories about fake significant others and Stupid Dan was buying it hook, line, and sinker.

Ever since Nate relinquished his crown as Stupidest Person on the Show, there has been quite a battle for that honor. Jenny and Serena passed it back and forth for the first three post-strike episodes, but tonight the title was all Dan's. I'm beginning to understand why Dan hates to be lied to so much--it's because he will believe absolutely anything. Come on, Humphrey, Georgie's story was ridiculous, and you ate it right up. Geez.

More than compensating for the frustration that is Dan/Serena/Georgie, the interaction between Blair, Chuck, and (even) Nate was awesome. It is nice to know that while the people in this clique have torn each other to shreds (and will totally do so again in a heart beat if necessary), when someone is threatening one of their friends, they're willing to do whatever they can to help.

The only thing I ask from this show is that, in the series finale, Chuck and Blair will get married and rule the world. They are just too perfect for each other.

Exchange of the night:
Chuck: "You're starting to scare even me. What did you do?"
Blair: "You can tell us...none of us are perfect. I had sex with him in the back of a moving limo."
Chuck: "Several times."
Nate: "And I had sex with you at a wedding when I was her date...once."
Chuck: (pause) "I'm Chuck Bass."

And then there was Lily and Rufus making out on the night of her wedding rehearsal dinner. That's classy ;-) It was also pretty hot though. How much though does GG ending its first season with the Lily/Bart wedding remind me of The O.C. ending its first season with the Julie/Caleb wedding? It's practically the same darn thing. At least the similarities seem to have ended there, and Dan hasn't maybe knocked up Vanessa. That would be unbearable.

For all the ruckus over the "OMFG" hook-up promotional ads, it seems like there's be a dearth of sensational hook-ups since the show has returned from the strike. It looks like Lily and Rufus are going to get it on, but since they're the parents, I think they only warrant an "OMG."

Bullets:
  • Rufus (to Dan): "I don't know if you know this, but you can be a pretty judgemental guy." (Amen)
  • Chuck (to Blair): "Are you drunk dialing again?"
  • It's impressive that Blair found Serena after her night of drunken debauchery. I would have liked to see Blair Waldorf navigating the seedy underbelly of NYC night life.
  • Why is Lily doing an interview with Rolling Stone anyway? And why does this guy care so much about Lily and Rufus? Move on, dude.
  • Dan: "Don't all of you hate each other?"
    Blair: "Yes!"
    Chuck: "No."
    Nate: "Absolutely."
  • Serena looked darn good for being such a huge hungover mess.
  • I thought Dan was going to try to not be judgemental. That sure didn't happen.
  • I wouldn't mind Wild Serena if she weren't so darn whiny. She's like the guy on The Real World who drinks all night and then complains all day about how he drank too much (I'm embarrassed that I can draw connections to the current season of The Real World).
  • Hey! I just realized what I love about this episode--no Jenny yet! I hope her trip to see her mom lasts for a good, long time.
  • Eew, Chuck lost his virginity to Georgie in the sixth grade! Eew, eew, eew!
  • Lisa Loeb! Cool! Hmm, I bet 80% of the people who watch GG don't know who she is...
  • Props to Blair for telling Lily the truth. It's nice to see the kids actually letting their parents help them out of a mess for once.
  • Wow, and Nate called BS on the "Sarah" story. It's amazing how quickly these people can get things done when they want to.
  • Chuck: "What's gotten into you? (look of disgust)"
    Blair: "What if I told you I know where Georgina Sparks is right now?"
    Chuck: "I'd say, let's get the bitch."
    Gossip Girl: "Spotted: Blair and Chuck reunited to avenge Serena's honor. With friends like these, who needs armies?"
  • The first time I've ever liked Vanessa was she lectured Georgie about lying. But I sooooo wanted to see Chuck and B put a smackdown on Georgina's sorry butt. Grr.
  • Personally, I would be pissed off I had to listen to Georgina's sob story while Lisa Loeb was performing.

(photo: cwtv.com)

3 comments:

  1. That reporter was crazy pushy.
    Lily: "Let's just talk about my work."
    Reporter dude: "I am talking about your work."

    "I'm Chuck Bass." ahahahahah

    B: "We're the non-judging Breakfast Club"

    I love love loved the look B and Chuck shared when she told him she knew where Georgina was! They totally need to get back together.

    Georgina's lies ugh! They just keep going! And Dan is so gullible!

    Rufus is sexy, I can't help it. Yay for inappropriate kissing.

    Okay, okay, hold up, I know Dan is dense, but why doesn't he just look at the last calls made on his phone and see that she called Serena, not her MOM.

    Yeeeeeesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, yeah, Dan certainly *could* have checked to see who Georgie actually called, but he's not that smart. It's odd that she needed his phone in the first place to "call her mom"--because wouldn't she have her own?

    Did this episode seem like they crammed the plots from 4 episodes into one? I guess that's the good/bad thing about the writers' strike: no filler moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, it did seem like they could stretch it out a bit more. I hate when TV shows cram so much into an episode, kind of ends up diluting everything, but I guess I can forgive them b/c of the strike.... but only this one time!

    ReplyDelete