Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Bon Voyage, Ror and Lor!

Gilmore Girls:
An absolutely beautiful series finale. Definitely one for my "favorite finales" list. I'm particularly impressed that the GG writers pulled off such a touching finale without knowing for sure if it was the series finale. I guess if the show HAD come back for season 8, we'd spend a lot of time watching Rory riding around on a bus? That could be fun; everything involving the Gilmores is fun--except when Lorelai makes "sad face." That's not fun for anybody.

I'm super proud of Rory landing her Obama job. That jobs seems like it would be even more fun than the NY Times internship since she'll get to travel and hang out with all the other reporters. The downside is that she'll have to spend a lot of time in Iowa... :-) My one hang up was: did she really send out 75 resumes? Did she personally tailor each cover letter to the specific newspaper she sent it to? And if so, does she sleep? Geez. I do kind of love how Gilmore always seems just a little confused about how college and jobs work in the real world.

Another of my favorite moments was when Lorelai agreed to continue Friday night dinners with Emily and Richard. It's nice to know that this seven year process of getting Rory through high school and college have gone a long way to repair the damage between Lorelai and her parents. Without Rory around, maybe Lor and Emily will become best buds and pal around :-) Because that would be hysterical.

And Luke and Lorelai kissed...and that was the end of it, which I love because I'm totally ok with L/L being together--but actually watching it makes me gag. I hope they go on the boat trip to Maine together and eventually get married under the hoopa that Luke built for Lorelai. That would be lovely.

The final scene was perfect--almost an exact parallel to the final scene of the pilot episode: Rory and Lorelai in the diner, playfully bantering, while Luke makes them food. I love, love, love it when shows end by coming full circle (hence my blubbering during The OC finale when they showed the clip of Marissa standing in the sun and Ryan driving past). While it would be nice to know how Amy Sherman-Pallidino was planning to end the show (the infamous last two words), I think the new team did a stellar job.

Ok, sniff, sniff. Thank goodness the Gilmores are on ABC Family every afternoon! I'm not sure I could live without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment