Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Gossip Girl: Marry Me, Lil



Gossip Girl:
"Rufus Getting Married"

I'd say this was by far the best episode of Gossip Girl so far this season. Unfortunately, that's more a commentary on how sub-par the other episodes have been rather than the excellence of this one. Still though, I think it's impressive how watchable this episode was, given the large amount of Rufus/Lily drama it contained. (I've been over the two of them since the season one finale when they decided they loved each other and she married Bart anyway.)

Highlights and my observations:

  • I'm sorry, Dan, but your "say hi to Godzilla for me" IM joke was not nearly that funny!
  • How does Blair know she hates Nate's new girlfriend? Has she even seen Nate in months?
  • Since when does Vanessa not like Georgie? I thought Vanessa was Georgie's great champion.
  • Blair: "Do you happen to know what the Swahili is for 'mind your own beeswax'? No reason, of course, it just might be useful on a safari sometime."
  • Blair: "Trust me, Nate, I know women, and none of us are that nice."
  • Hey, look, it's Jenny and Eric, just wandering around the apartment in a pack as usual. They are like the chorus in Greek drama--they don't really factor into the plot much and just pop up occasionally to say something that advances the story.
  • Dan: "You've been running? With jeans on? That didn't chafe?"
  • No, Serena, don't waste your time trying to get Rufus and Lily together. I, for one, could not care less anymore. Just let it go.
  • Vanessa: "...and C, even though I tried to defend you, you're a full-on crazy person."
  • Georgina: "That was just pathetic! Haven't you ever tried to get somebody to dump a celebrity before?"
  • Rufus: "I knew I let you kids watch The Parent Trap too many times."
  • Holy crap, Chuck is one hot masseuse!
  • Blair's voice when she said, "Hey, where are you going? I have tension!" sounded extremely reminiscent of Cher Horowitz in Clueless when she said, "Even Fabion, my masseuse, said I had a lot of tension in my back." Like so reminiscent that it was either a direct send-up or borderline plagiarism.
  • Vanessa's wearing a lot of jewelry for a long afternoon of Photoshopping.
  • When Rufus and Lily see each other, they piss each other of in a matter of seconds, but then they both look at a photo, and suddenly they're in love again and everything's perfect. Uh, that's because the photo doesn't talk back, people! This detente is going to last for like 5 minutes.
  • I still don't understand how Jenny can rule Constance with that hair!
  • Oh, Jenny's used to making dresses in one night. Not sure Lily's going to want to wear whatever she comes up with though.
  • I liked Serena calling the Constance girls "new mean girls."
  • Georgina got Poppy deported? Was Poppy not an American? Whatever, thanks for that belated explanation...
  • Dan: "Turns out, she was dating Orlando Bloom behind my back."
    Georgina: "It is amazing how far down that guy's Star-O-Meter has gone."
  • Chuck: "I'm getting sick of being your travel agent. This ticket's the last, and it's one-way."
  • I like Serena's dress, but it looks like she needs to give it a hard tug upwards.
  • Jenny's dress is not my favorite.
  • If Rufus is never happier than when he's with Lily, he must have been one tremendously depressed dude during pre-Lily. He sure doesn't look happy to me when he's with her.
  • I'm not sure if that dress is Jenny's best work. It's definitely not her worst work though.
  • Nice, Lily. Snap at the one child of yours who doesn't already know what a loser you are.
  • Oh, yeah, Bree did mention that her BFF cousin was jilted at the alter. I remember that now, but I still don't care.
  • Scott sure travels light. He came all the way from Boston without a bag or a jacket or anything?
  • This is great; you just find out your son is alive and you just ignore him while you continue your previous conversation.
  • One way or another, this Rufus-and-Lily-getting-married thing is going to make Serena and Dan's eventual wedding really awkward.
  • Vanessa's an "all's well that ends well kind of girl"? Really?
  • Yeah, Bree, please leave. And if you happen to pass Vanessa on your way out, take her with you.
Once again, Georgie proves ridiculously easy to get rid of. This time Dorota and the doorman took care of it! And, is flying Georgina off somewhere with the doorman really vengeance on Georgina? It seems like more of a punishment for the doorman to me...

But, seriously, Georgie liked Dan enough to go up to New England to hunt down his secret half-brother and bring him back, but then she's just going to drop the big news and skedaddle? I was expecting her to completely lose it and lock Dan up in the closet of her dorm room and make him wear funny outfits (a la Jan Spears on Days of Our Lives) or something. Frankly, I'm disappointed.

I had expected that Mercy would have gone belly-up by the time that Georgie's last episode aired, freeing Michelle Tractenberg up to make a swift return to GG, but so far Mercy hasn't been canceled (probably because there's no one from The O.C. on it) so I guess NYU will be Georgina-free for awhile.



(photo: cwtv.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment