Thursday, May 21, 2009

SYTYCD: Let's Get It Started!

So You Think You Can Dance: "Auditions #1 and #2"

So You Think You Can Dance is back! YEEEEEeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!! Season 5!!! I'm so excited! Wohoo!

It's hard to believe that it's been more than 9 months since I last heard Mary Murphy scream. Can't say I've missed that, but I'll deal with it if that's the price I have to pay for watching the best dancing show on TV.

I don't think I usually blog about the first round of auditions because they're so all over the place, but I'm so excited that I'm going to try it anyway. The season kicked off with coverage from the New York (Brooklyn) and Denver auditions.

The play-by-play:
  • Wow, the Brooklyn people got Cat to dance!
  • Oh, screw this! We're only five minutes into the season and Napoleon and Tabitha are back already. Boooooo. I was hoping they'd be gone by now. I knew that hope was futile, but I maintained it anyway.
  • Whoa, Gabi Rojas grew up in the circus and she has rheumatoid arthritis! There's a story.
  • Shut up, Napoleon! It is not necessary for you to go, "Whoooooooaaaa!" every time anyone does anything.
  • Only 8 minutes in and we've already got a virtual lock for the Top 20 (Gabi Rojas).
  • Only 8 minutes in and we've already heard our first Mary Murphy scream.
  • These Mutation guys are something. Lol, one of their names is Hobgoblin! (The other's name is Storyboard, fyi.) These guys have made up all kinds of words. Oh dear, Hobgoblin's shoulder flexibility is beyond creepy! Is that something you're born with, or can anyone learn that?
  • Gotta love Mutation scaring the judges though.
  • I'd love to see the Mutation boys do some choreography too ;-)
  • I'm thinking that Peter must be a contender if they already sent a camera crew into his house to meet his family. He is pretty cool. You don't see a lot of buff tappers... And he's from Philly, so that's awesome. And it would be cool to have a tapper in the Top 20.
  • Tiffiany is quite amazing considering her disability. Nigel is correct; she is very inspirational.
  • Fianna! My favorite part of auditions is seeing people from other seasons return.
  • Maksim's not bad. Oh, but the winks need to go. And I want more ballroom boys in the Top 20 this season. There was only one last season (and he was the first one eliminated) and that was ridiculous.
  • Nobuya is actually not bad. After that build-up, I was expecting him to be horrendous.
  • Lol, Nobuya is not always locking as tight as Nigel would like.
  • Japanese locking is so hot right now... (according to Napoleon)
  • Lauren from season 3!
  • Aww, Lauren's choreo brought about the downfall of the Mutants.
  • Cat screaming with Nobuya was so cute. Cat is absolutely the best reality show host there is.
  • Igor and Nina! These two are fantastic. That crouching spin thing that she does is phenomenal. (I think Mary just called it a "pot stir"... That's good to know.)
  • I bet Chimezie ("Cha-MEE-zee") will make the Top 20 just so I have to spell that name every week. Actually, it's not that complicated; I can handle it.
  • Oh, eew, don't let Napoleon "get [his] hands on you," Chimezie! No good will come of that.
  • Oh no! Nina with the fabulous pot stir didn't get a ticket to Vegas!
  • Sonya!! Now we're talking.
  • I like Kayla. She was dancing to "Blackbird" and there was definitely a bird-like quality to it. And her family's really sweet.
  • Guess what? Sonya's a better judge that Napoleon and Tabitha combined.
  • Lol, Sonya said that watching the one girl dance made her feel like she feels when she thinks about having children? What?
  • Lol, the "It's Raining Men" music queue when the same-sex ballroom dancers come on screen.
  • The main problem here is that the girl is almost always the interesting part of a pair of ballroom dancers.
  • I wonder what happened between Mitch and his girl partner that turned him off dancing with girls completely.
  • BTW, what is with Mary's fringed vest? Please tell me that's not what you're supposed to wear when you're in Denver.
  • Elias and Enoch are creeping me out a bit. But they're cute. I guess being the two youngest of 14 siblings would bond you a lot. (I wonder if all 14 kids have names that start with E.) If Elias moves on in this competition, can he handle being away from Enoch?
  • NATALIE!!!! I was so hoping she'd be back! She's great. I'm glad Katee got a chance last year because she turned out to be fantastic, but I demand that Natalie be in the Top 20 this year.
  • Matt's audition routine was exceptional. (He could use a little more pants, however.)

Auditions start next week for the fall cycle, kids! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment