Monday, May 11, 2009

Gossip Girl: Lily of the Valley & Prom Queen B


Gossip Girl:
"Valley Girls"

A couple days before the well-hyped Lily (Rhodes) van der Woodsen (Bass) flashback backdoor pilot aired, rumors swirled that The CW isn't planning on putting the Lily spin-off on its fall schedule after all, and will instead opt to pick up Beautiful Life (featuring The O.C.'s Mischa Barton), the Melrose Place update (because why come up with a new idea when you can remake an old one?) and Vampire Diaries (to capitalize on the Twilight hysteria) and to renew Privileged (which, ironically, is one the only shows I've ever watched that I've actually called on the network to cancel). After watching Lily's flashback take over this episode of Gossip Girl, I can say that--if the rumors are true--not picking up the Lily spin-off is one of the few programming decisions The CW has made that I agree with.

I once wondered if Josh Schwartz could ever create a show that I wouldn't like, and now we have our answer. The Lily '80s flashback was just painful. It lacked the wit and charisma that a Josh Schwartz show typically thrives on. The characters (even the ones we already knew) were underdeveloped and stereotypical. The dialogue was unnatural and sometimes just bizarre. The whole thing was boring. And Lily was possibly even more annoying as a teenager than she is now (and that is a major feat).

Oh, and you know the flashback was bad if I'm trashing it even though it included several cast members whom I already love or at least like: Ryan Hansen (my beloved Dick Casablancas from Veronica Mars), Krysten Ritter (a veteran of Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars, who is currently so much better in Breaking Bad), Andrew McCarthy (who will always be Larry from Weekend at Bernie's to me), and Cynthia Watros from Lost.

But the worst part of the whole Lily flashback was that it stole precious screen time from the Gossip Girl characters that we love! (Except for Vanessa--Lily can have all of Vanessa's screentime as far as I'm concerned.) Even though the Gossip Girlers were just navigating the world of prom, which was certainly not earth-shattering by any means, I just wanted to watch them!

Highlights, lowlights and quotes:

  • Blair: "Serena's been in jail for 4 hours! That's longer than Nicole Richie and Lindsay Lohan combined!"
  • Chuck: "Please, she's a socialite accused of stealing a bracelet. I doubt they're working her over with a phone book."
  • Rufus still sucks. He tells Dan and Jenny that one of their best friends was just arrested at the behest of her mother, and when they ask for more information, he just yells at them to not get involved. That's helpful.
  • Lily's parents had a tumultuous divorce? Then why did Cece still have her husband's suits in her house at the Hamptons? (Remember, Dan had to borrow Serena's grandpa's jacket to go to the White Party.)
  • Lily's dad: "Punishing loved ones just comes much easier to some people."
  • We've established that in Margaret Colin and John Shea, Blair has the coolest parents ever. Lily has some cool ones too: Larry from Weekend at Bernie's and Libby from Lost. Except Lily's parents are both acting like jerks. Not that I feel too badly for her; she was just as annoying in the '80s as she is now.
  • It's only happened twice, but I'm already sick of transitioning in and out from the flashbacks. The stupid, reflective look on Lily's face as she reminisces makes me gag.
  • Ha ha, Blair's looking at the scrapbook (that she supposedly hasn't looked at since she was a child).
  • Blair: "Just like my scrapbook I don't remember keeping and haven't looked at since I was an early adolescent!"
  • Ha ha, is Chuck sabotaging Nate and Blair's dream prom? Because that's funny.
  • Lily thinks Cece's toxic? Cece? Cece's probably the least toxic woman in this whole family.
  • Limited editions of the Gossip Girl books are on sale that come with posters of the cast! Wow, I'm actually kind of excited about that; what am I, 12-years-old?
  • Wow, young Lily, that was an overreaction (in the immortal words of Andy Bernard)! She didn't have to yell at the kid just for bumping into her.
  • My sister: "This waiter dude is trying really hard to be Ryan Lafferty."
  • Dan: "I'm sorry to bother you, but I can't leave Serena one more message and still call myself a man."
  • Ahh! Scary! Poor Little J was just hanging out in her room when all of a sudden the garage door wall is thrown open by Dan, who is wearing only a t-shirt and purple boxers! Which is especially odd, because in the scene immediately proceeding that one, he was fully clothed while talking to Lily on the phone. So, he apparently stripped down to go talk to his little sister. Weirdo!
  • Dan: "Hey, I think I need a dress for prom."
    Jenny: "Ok, but you're going to have to wear your own shoes."
  • Good Lord, young Lily is annoying! "You're totally falling in love with me right now." SHUT UP! Trust me, no one is falling in love with you! Only Rufus is stupid enough to do that, and he doesn't come along for a couple more years.
  • Oh, thank God, it's Ryan Hansen (who is rocking quite the hairdo)! He's about the only one who can save this horrendous flashback, but it's a tall order.
  • Blair: "I've always tried to make my life resemble the movie in my head, and tonight no effort required!"
  • Blair: "We don't do prom queen. That's for suburban schools and the lame teen comedies that are set at them."
  • Serena's white nail polish really held up in prison! It still looks flawless.
  • Can we see a flashback into Eleanor's past now? Because I guarantee it would be a hell of a lot more interesting than this.
  • Kind of cliche '80s music they're using here. It's not bad; it's just exactly what everyone would think of when they think '80s music: "I Melt With You," "The Safety Dance," etc.
  • Blair: "Well, I just spent 10 seconds talking to you, so consider yourself repaid."
  • Is that dress supposed to be Jenny's? Because that might explain why Serena's boobs are popping out of it, but I'm not really sure her boobs would have ever fit in Jenny's dress in the first place. That really is just supposed to be one of Jenny's dresses--Little J didn't just sew that one up in a half hour, right? Because not even Jenny can sew that fast.
  • Wow, everyone else must have gotten tired of Lily's "remembering face" too, because now they're not using any kind of transitions from past to present at all.
  • Hey, shocker, the young Mr. van der Woodsen is a jerk.
  • The part where Owen throws Lily's "Your falling in love with me," line back at her would have been funny if the whole thing (namely the acting in this scene) wasn't so painful.
  • Eew, Carol slept with Lily's future husband? Yuck.
  • Can we please get back to Blair and Chuck's scintillating conversation about the prom queen?
  • Nice punch, Ryan Hansen! He learned that move during the battles between Logan's rich kids and Weevil's motorcycle gang in Veronica Mars season 2.
  • Blair: "This is my moment! I own prom!"
  • Dan: "Who even voted for her?"
    Chuck: "Me. About 150 times."
  • Oh. My. God. Chuck's "sabotage" turned out to be him ensuring that Blair's prom night was perfect and just like her scrapbook. Awwwwwwwwwwwwww, Chuck!!!
  • Cece would rather have twenty Dan Humphreys from Brooklyn than that one stupid guy from the Valley? I mean, that dude was no prize, but Dan can be all kinds of annoying at times. I can only imagine how grating twenty Dans would be.
  • Ugh, I can't even listen to Lily and Cece have this fight. It's too boring.
  • Nate is awfully complacent. Blair wants him: he's ok with that. Blair doesn't want him: he's ok with that too apparently.
  • Blair: "Your quasi half-brother slash ex-boyfriend was your date."
  • Serena: "We went through it together. We raised each other. You're my sister."
  • The "we raised each other" sentiment is sweet, but it's also extremely true and explains a lot about B and S.
  • BTW, while she's "raising" Blair, couldn't Serena mention that Chuck told her he loves Blair and that he went to extremely lengths to give her a perfect prom night?
  • Next week: Blair says to Chuck--for the hundredth time--"Tell me you love me," and, darn it, if he doesn't just say it this time, I'm going to eat my right hand! Lol. Maybe not. But I will be severely angered.
  • I do wonder what is happening with Georgie and Poppy.
  • Let's hope that this year's GG finale is a little less manic and whip-lash inducing than last season's finale. Pick your story lines wisely and let them breathe a little, GG.

(photo: cwtv.com; I am refusing to post a photo from the flashback out of principle.)

1 comment:

  1. finally got to see this episode!

    I have to say, I agree with your comments about the flashbacks-- too many inconsistencies, the main two I had problems with were a) the whole Lily's parents were divorced and estranged which begs your question of why did she have his white suit? and b) why have we never heard of Lily's sister before?

    And Keith Vanderwoodsen was an asshole, why did Lily marry him later?

    I did love Krysten Ritter as Carol though.

    But the young Lily was ever so annoying.

    As for the rest of the episode:

    Aw, I love how Blair has all these boxes and secret plans from childhood, makes her more relatable on a human level.

    I actually thought it was good for Serena to stay in jail, not sure if you are allowed to do that when you are put free, but kudos to rebellion.

    Yes, yes, headband girls, put the ballots in an unlocked box and talk about killing Blair's dream prom in front of Chuck, yes, yes.

    Poor Chuck, he's always getting messed over.

    Hahahahahah, "The dress looks better without it." Chuck really did do it all! Awwwww.

    Cool tiara.

    Blair gets very intense in conversations with Nate while he just looks very confused and says "Ok"

    Overall, ok episode, but I don't think a spinoff series would do very well.

    ReplyDelete