Thursday, May 28, 2009

SYTYCD: Enough Auditions Already...

So You Think You Can Dance: "Auditions #5 and #6"

Tonight's episode covered the last two audition cities--and the auditions wrapped up not a minute too soon. I don't think I could sit through another night of this...especially if the telecasts insist on showing more of the bad dancers than the good ones.

Los Angeles (with Adam Shankman as the third judge):
  • Comfort!
  • Joshua!!!!
  • I remember Bianca. I thought she was going to make the Top 20 last year. With her back this year, we could conceivably have a female tapper and one or two male tappers in the Top 20. BTW, I just read that there was a female tapper in the Top 20 of the first season (which I didn't watch), so one of these people will not have the distinction of being the first tapper in the Top 20 as I had thought.
  • Wow, Adam was just nice to the Jewish girl who is having a dance/religion conflict (despite not being a very good dancer). I shudder to think what Tyce would have said to that poor girl. It's nice when a confrontation between the judges and a weaker contestant goes pleasantly and no one is reduced to unnecessary nastiness.
  • Good for Adam going up there and doing some Lindy Hop! Very nicely done.
  • Joshua, Katee, Comfort and Lauren were cute serving as Adam's judges! That was a fun moment.
  • I remember Asian-American ballroom dancers Asuka and Ricky from last year. I think I liked them then, and I still like them now. Ricky's really good. Asuka's really cute.
  • Wow, now they're showing us a montage of the good auditionees and not even putting their names up on the screen. That's real nice. Sucks to be those (nameless) people...
  • Nathan pulled out some kick-ass pirouettes. I especially liked the way he comes out of the pirouettes. I like how he relates to the music as well.
  • So why can 17-year-olds not compete in SYTYCD? American Idol lets contestants who are ages 17 and younger compete. (Allison Iraheta, David Archuleta, Diana DeGarmo, etc. and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.) Is it because SYTYCD is more physically demanding than Idol? More chance of someone getting hurt? Dancing With the Stars allows the under-18 set to compete too because Shawn Johnson is only 17.
  • So Nathan will be 18 in time for season 6 this fall? That's good news! That gives us something to look forward to.
  • I'm glad Nathan let his brother talk him into not quitting dancing because people picked on him. Why do kids keep making fun of other kids for doing something this great? If everyone listened to everyone else, we'd all be so mediocre.
  • Ok, is it just me or is this whole "popping and locking" thing just a glorified version of The Robot? Frankly I'm kind of over it. That said, Sammy was all kinds of adorable.
  • Amanda Kerby has great flexibility and some really solid pirouetting skills.
  • Philip! Straight to Vegas without even having to dance! And he's here to dance with Ariel, a girl whose family was in a horrible car accident with a semi. This Ariel/Philip collaboration is promising--I'm beginning to think Philip might be able to pull off the couple dancing format of the show.
  • Promising auditions from Alexie, Diana, and Chanel put them through to choreography. (Which seems like kind of a moot point--I'd be surprised if all three of them don't move on to Vegas.)
  • Way, way, way too many close-ups of this dude's (Kevin's) abdomen area. I don't need to see this.
  • What? They're not bringing Chanel to Vegas? Whatever... But Sammy, Alexie, and Diana do make it through.
Seattle (with Mia Michaels as the third judge):
  • Mia! We're still talking about that Emmy she won for the Bench Dance from season two.
  • This isn't So You Think You Can Tattoo! Hmm, hey, this Nick fellow can actually dance a bit...I wasn't expecting that.
  • Oh no, Dmitrious already knows this looks a lot better in his head.
  • Is Seattle really this hard up for talent? This is sad. (Actually, it doesn't all look as bad as they are trying to make it seem.)
  • Kelsea Taylor is pretty cool. She wasn't really doing a ton of fancy tricks, but her kooky style was fun to watch.
  • Only from Mia would "beautiful, disastrous weirdo" be a compliment...
  • Ok, if only 4 dancers from the first day of auditions made it through to Vegas, couldn't they have shown us all four of their auditions instead of the montage of not-so-good people? Argh, SYTYCD!
  • Kuponohi'poi (that might not be the entirely correct spelling--I couldn't get his whole name typed down before they took it off the screen) was ok. His hair annoys me. So we can call him Kupono? Because if they have to announce him by that long first name every week in the opening montage, that's going to be cumbersome.
  • Lol. Leo does grief counseling because losing data can be a very traumatic experience.
  • Oh, do we really have to do a dance battle between Sex and Leo? People, please.
  • Did Sex really just compare himself to Twitch? That's so insulting to Twitch that I feel insulted by extension.
  • So Leo won the dance battle but Sex gets to go to the choreography round and Leo doesn't? That doesn't seem fair.
  • I can't believe Nigel and Mary sent Sex to the choreography round. He did a better job than I was expecting (my expectations were very low), but I feel seriously sorry for the poor girl who had to dance with him.
YEA! Next week we get to watch just dancers who can actually dance! Vegas, here were come!

No comments:

Post a Comment