Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Premiere Watch '08: Samantha Who?



Samantha Who?: "So I Think I Can Dance"

The season 2 premiere of Samantha Who? reminded me how much I enjoy this show. Christina Applegate is so funny and likable as the mentally born-again title character. (I totally think she should have won the best lead actress in a comedy Emmy... Tina Fey didn't need 3 awards.) And, to a person, the supporting cast is excellent.

I didn't think that this episode was the funniest Samantha Who? ever, but it packed in some interesting moments: Christina got to show off her Broadway dancing skills, Todd had a bit of a breakdown, Sam and her mom actually acted like they like each other for a while, Andrea showed that she does have actual, human feelings, and there was a big dance number.

Highlights and random thoughts:
  • Sam's mom taped Oprah over the home video of Sam's first birthday party.
  • Regina: "Oh crap! Paula Drake! I knew should never leave the house without a bra!"
  • Sam: "I'm not brain damaged. I have my own spatula."
  • Dina: "It's the one night I get to be on tech crew!"
  • Sam (to her mother): "I can't wait to put you in a home."
  • Dina saying that Sam flashing the judges during the live nativity scene was edgy.
  • Sam: "You just said that a Newly never gives up!"
    Mom: "On themselves! On each other all the time!"
  • Uh oh, Todd's got some Sam issues, and they're boiling over. So, he says he held her hand while she was in the coma even though she cheated on him? I didn't know about that; that's so sweet! However, he sure didn't seem to like her right after she woke up from the coma--his attitude was not that of someone who had just been holding her hand.
  • I think Mrs. Drake's dance routine looked pretty beatable.
  • Wow, Sam's pretty good! Or not... Awww. Poor Sam.
  • Dina's boyfriend: "Are you sure you want more light? Because I was thinking more darkness."

The rest of Samantha Who?'s second season looks pretty promising with guest appearances by Tony Hale (Buster from Arrested Development), James Tupper (Jack from Men In Trees) and Mary-Kate Olsen. Bring it on--I'm excited.

Premiere Rating: 6.5/10

(photo: ABC/Samantha Who?)

No comments:

Post a Comment