Monday, October 20, 2008

Chuck: Boy Meets Russian Mafia


Chuck: "Chuck Versus the Cougars"

This episode of Chuck was especially exciting for several reasons, not the least of which was that it featured a guest star appearance by Ben Savage a.k.a. Cory Matthews from Boy Meets World. Like most members of the T.G.I.F. generation, I imagine I'll always have a special place in my heart for Cory, Topanga, Shawn, and even Minkus (although my allegiance to him thankfully doesn't mandate me to watch him on One Tree Hill). The last time I saw Rider Strong was his horrifying turn on Veronica Mars where he brutally harassed poor Neil from Freaks and Geeks during a prison simulation. I've made a point of checking out The Dish, Danielle Fischel's new The Soup-esque program on the Style Channel, so I now have semi-regular Topanga fixes. But how I've missed my Cory...and his amazingly hilarious facial expressions (see above).

Another interesting aspect of this episode was that we finally got some back story on Sarah and what her life was like pre-Chuck and pre-Bryce and pre-CIA. Like Chuck, I was really excited to find out that Sarah's real name is Jenny Burton...that is, until we found out that Sarah/Jenny and her father were seasoned con artists and "Jenny Burton" was just one of a long line of aliases. Still, we learned more about her than we knew before: her dad went to prison, she was nerdy, Nicole Richie terrorized her in high school, she joined the CIA as an alternative to going to jail, etc.

Highlights and observations:
  • Wow, high school Sarah had terrible hair.
  • Sarah used to live in San Diego and now works in LA and her cover hasn't been blown yet?
  • Oh no, Cory's in the intersect. That's not a good sign.
  • Chuck does not seem to spend much time in the BuyMore these days. Luckily for him, the management is lax.
  • Shades of The O.C.: Chuck talks about cilantro, which Caleb Nichol notably hated. What is it with Josh Schwartz and cilantro? It seems like it's bordering on an obsession ;-)
  • Chuck: "Cilantro--very controversial. You either love it or you hate it. I love it."
  • Chuck and Cory are not a very unbeatable combination.
  • Chuck: "A self-defense class I took at the Y. It was very comprehensive."
  • How gullible is Cory if he believes Chuck is "Mad Dog"?
  • Lester is the worst manager ever.
  • I'm surprised the BuyMore is only out $3700 after these stupid sales practices.
  • Whoa, they decorated the reunion with humongous yearbook photos? That's harsh!
  • "Mmm Bop"! I hope high school seniors didn't like "Mmm Bop."
  • This Dick Duffy joker was on the last episode of The Ex-List. Ugh, I'm embarrassed that I know that.
  • Hahahaha, Casey being the deejay was hilarious.
  • Ahh, Nicole Richie is Russian mafia. Who'd have thought?
  • Sarah should be able to beat up skinny little Nicole Richie.
  • Why did Sarah go back into the reunion all wet and bleeding from the mouth? That would seem a bit suspicious.
Next week we meet Chuck's ex! The one that Bryce stole from him? Who we haven't heard a thing about since the very early episodes? The one who was seemingly forgotten all about? Awesome! I've been wondering what was up with her.

(photo: nbc.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment