Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Premiere Watch '08: Dirty Sexy Money

Dirty Sexy Money: "The Birthday Present"

I'm not nearly as excited about Dirty Sexy Money now as I was last year. I began watching the show in the first place because of Samaire Armstrong (who is awesome), and now her character is only a recurring character. "Personal issues" or not, kicking Samaire off your show isn't a great idea. One of The O.C.'s worst creative decisions was writing off Anna, after all.

Aside from that, I haven't enjoyed DSM as much since it became the Tripp/Simon Elder/Karen saga. I honestly couldn't care less who is manipulating whom in that fustercluck. The Senate race isn't interesting me much either. The Jeremy/Lisa stuff in moderately interesting, but always leads to Lisa and Nick having the "you're going to have to chose between the Darlings and us" conversation, and there's only so many times I really need to hear that.

Other thoughts:

  • Wow, a boat is quite the birthday present!
  • The scene when the police helicopter flew over and the yacht was given the "Prepare to be boarded!" warning was straight from Arrested Development. Actually, I wish I were watching Arrested Development...
  • Jeremy Darling's still thinking about his kiss with Lisa from six months ago? Not sure I believe that.
  • Karen is still screwing Simon Elder after six months? Really not sure I believe that.
  • Oh no...it's the age-old "I love you"/"Thank you" plot line. If I wanted to see that, I'd watch the New Year's Eve episode of The O.C. Actually, I wish I were watching The O.C...
  • Gustav!!!!
  • Carmelita's been missing for 6 months?
  • Dude (Patrick), your wife (Ellen) wasn't a drunk until you hooked up with the transgendered prostitute; get off your high horse. What an asshat. Are we supposed to feel sorry for him?
  • And, since this show is on ABC, here's Lucy Liu!
  • Well, I guess that's why you should never try to bludgeon someone while you're wearing stilettos.
  • I am not convinced that Simon Elder could have "any woman in New York."
  • Why would Tripp have chemists? Isn't he a real estate mogul?
  • Oh, holy crap! Lisa finally makes out with Jeremy and Nick pops up to see it? Unlucky.
  • Nick doesn't think that going to hang out with Karen is a bad idea? Two wrongs don't make a right, buddy. He is so the Dan Humphrey of this show. Judgemental and annoying.
  • Tripp is so sleazy. Brian won't help him out, so Tripp ships off Brian's kid.
  • They don't pay this butler guy enough.
  • Good for Lisa throwing it all back on Nick.
  • Did they even mention Samaire (Juliet) and why she's not around? I missed it if they did.
  • Oh, shock, Simon's playing Karen. Who'd have thought. He's apparently not as good as he thinks he is if it took him 6 months to get Karen to fall for him. Hope whoever's in on this plan with him didn't have a strict time table.
  • Ahh, so the yacht is a payoff.
  • Letitia's getting arrested for the murder of Dutch? The law enforcement officials wait a year since the murder and then have to arrest her on a yacht in front of tons of people?

Premiere Rating: 5.0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment