Monday, October 27, 2008

Mad Men: In the Event of an Emergency

Mad Men: "Meditations in an Emergency"

It's no secret that I didn't love Mad Men the first time I saw it. But, for some reason, I could never really shake this show. When it was on, I'd occasionally check in on it, and I kept abreast of the larger plot points by reading the articles and spoilers about it on tvguide.com and ew.com, etc. It was definitely, though, the show's second season that really hooked me. Somewhere along the line, I found myself watching one of the season 2 episodes and not being able to turn away. Then I watched the next one and then the next one and then the next, and suddenly a full-on obsession was born. With starling precision, Mad Men turned from a show I begrudgingly respected to a show I couldn't stop thinking about. In fact, it's now easily among the 5 shows that I'm most emotionally invested in at the moment (I suppose the others would be Gossip Girl, Greek, Pushing Daisies, and Chuck).

What's most amazing is that the characters I didn't like from the pilot have turned into people I literally spend time worrying about. (Will Don ever get his act together? Will Joan be able to find the strength to leave her asshat fiance? Will Betty float away? etc.) Impressively, Mad Man takes a bunch of characters who are not overly likable on the surface and makes you truly care about them anyway. It's kind of like a show full of Chuck Basses. So of course I'm loving it.

I thought this season 2 finale episode was fantastic. Set during the uncertainty of the Cuban Missile Crisis, the characters struggled with uncertainly in their own lives. The episode was packed with new developments: Betty finds out that she's pregnant, Don finally mans up and makes a better effort at trying to get Betty back, Pete reveals that he knows he should have picked Peggy, Peggy reveals to Pete that she had his baby, Don threatens to leave Sterling Cooper, etc. But even with all of that, Mad Men still found time for some of those heart-wrenching moments of quiet desperation that define the show. This episode was a tour de force from beginning to end, and I think somebody wants another Emmy. (Speaking of Emmys, if the women of Man Men get shut out again, there is no justice in the world.)

Highlights and mediations:
  • I adore this show's fantastic opening theme and credits. It's addictive. I just want to keep watching it over and over again.
  • I loved how the episode began with Betty looking at the deer panting in the doctor's office. She definitely has a Bambi quality to her and also a deer-in-the-headlights look and attitude.
  • Oh, poor Betty is pregnant. Which is just awesome, because Betty and Don make such fantastic parents.
  • Doctor: "Are you concerned with your appearance?" (What a butthead.)
  • Finally, people are speculating about what Don's problem is and where he disappeared too!
  • WHAT?! Don came to the stables? Holy moly, even the slightest show of (normal) effort from him floors me sometimes.
  • I have a feeling that "I was not respectful to you" might be the closest thing to an admission of the affair(s) that we're going to get out of Don.
  • But, it's not good enough for Betty. No, no, Betty, this might be the best you're ever going to get. It's time to stop being an ice queen.
  • Poor stupid Pete is scared out of his mind about the Clearasil thing.
  • Oh no, don't promote Pete! That seems like something we might regret.
  • Duck's banking on Don having a non-compete clause in his contract with Sterling Cooper.
  • Don (to Peggy): "Do I work for you now?"
  • Wow, Peggy looks hot today; she's wearing a form-fitting dress. So, what happened, she heard about the Cuban Missile Crisis and decided to tart up her look?
  • Pete: "What happened? One minute I'm standing next to you in the car port and the next I'm tap dancing for General Dynamics!"
    Don: "Sorry, I missed that."
  • Don: "You wanted to see me?"
    Roger: "About three weeks ago."
  • Roger: "Kennedy's daring them to bomb us right when I got a second chance."
  • Sally: "Mommy doesn't like to eat."
  • That was a gorgeous shot of Betty looking in the store window.
  • Well, I guess with all of Betty's drinking and smoking, there's a chance the baby isn't going to make it anyway.
  • Wow, Bar Guy is hot! And he sounds familiar...do I know him from somewhere? OMG, I looked it up, and he's Captain Awesome from Chuck!!!! I couldn't even tell from looking at him. Oh, that's so cool.
  • Whoa, Betty! Making out with Bar Guy in the bathroom hallway! She looks like she's going to pass out. Betty! I know the guy's hot, but this is not the appropriate way to deal with your issues.
  • Yea, Betty's eating something! (I guess it takes adultery to make her hungry?)
  • Pete's wife (Trudy) is evacuating to Rehoboth Beach!! Count me in!
  • Harry: "Bad news! ...I checked the fridge and there's canapes--really good ones!"
  • Wow, Pete told Don about Duck being president; he's kind of redeeming himself.
  • Don's letter to Betty: "I understand why you want to move on without me, and I know that you won't be alone for long, but without you, I'll be alone forever."
  • Roger: "Don, is this necessary?"
    Duck: "It is. Because he likes this room and hearing the sound of his own voice."
  • Don doesn't have a contract! He can start his own agency. Wow. That could be very interesting.
  • Any way the Russians can just nuke Joan's fiance and no one else?
  • Pete: "You're perfect... I wish I'd picked you then... I love you and I want to be with you."
    Peggy: "Pete, I could have had you in my life forever if I had wanted to."
  • Despite the threat of impending nuclear war, Pete had been having a pretty good day: he was promoted, he got praise from Don...but this scene with Peggy has brought his good day to an abrupt end. He just poured his heart out to her, and she rather calmly replied by telling him what has to be one of the most devastating things imaginable. I know Pete's a schmuck, but you have to feel badly for him now. My guess is that this experience hardens him and he turns into an even bigger jerk than he was before.
  • So the Drapers are going to try to get it together for Baby Number Three. I'm sure it won't be an easy road, but it's nice that they're actually going to give it a try.
  • I liked that they showed footage from the Mad Men wrap party after the episode. It's nice to see all of the actors in modern clothing (Elizabeth Moss looks so much better). I didn't know that Christina Hendricks has a Southern accent. I wish they would have shown some footage from the Mad Men review as well!
It sounds like it might be a long wait before Mad Men returns, but I can't wait for this fascinating ride to continue.

(photo: amctv.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment