Thursday, June 25, 2009

SYTYCD: Eliminations on a Sad Night

So You Think You Can Dance: Top 16 Results Show

My predictions: Asuka and Jonathan are going home tonight.

Play-by-play recap:

  • Cat's wearing a full-length halter top jump suit with a black and white palm tree pattern. This get-up certainly isn't boring (like her dress last night). It's also kind of Farrah Fawcett/Charlie's Angels-esque, which is an appropriate tribute in light of Farrah's passing today.
  • The group performs a sexy Latin-inspired number. Whoa, I actually liked a Napoleon and Tabitha group number? Bizarre. It must have been Dmitry's influence that won me over. That was quite a hot performance, but I'm not sure it was necessary to hose down a few of the girls and have them dancing in pools of water though.
  • Nigel has a tall order here tonight. He has to eulogize Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. MJ especially ties right into SYTYCD. Hopefully they'll be able to do a Michael Jackson tribute group number sometime in the near future. (Obviously they didn't have time to whip one together for tonight.) Actually, what would be awesome would be if they did a performance show theme night where all the couples dance to Michael Jackson songs. Get on that, Nigel.
  • BTW, here's a video of the Season 4 contestants doing "Thriller" on tour for Halloween last year (thanks to SYTYCDism for calling my attention to this clip). And just for good measure, here's Jennifer Garner's version in 13 Going on 30 (Doesn't it seem strange that so many people in publishing turned out to be such good dancers? I digress...)
  • Wow, they brought five couples on the stage for results all at once! That might be a record.
  • As I suspected, Asuka and Vitolio are in the bottom three.
  • I wonder if Ade's heard the "What a difference Ade makes"/"It was Ade to remember" puns before. I'm thinking he has.
  • Also as I suspected, Jonathan and Karla and Caitlin and Jason are in the bottom three. So I correctly predicted all three. Go me. I might actually get one right on the EW prediction competition this week.
  • We're treated to a performance by a large group of young b-boys/hip hoppers. I love how they all look like they are having so much fun! And, holy cow, they just launched the little guy with big hair across the stage! Cat was pretty much beside herself over these kids. They definitely gave the most entertaining "superstars from the world of dance" performance on SYTYCD this season.

The solos:

Asuka: Well, it's gotta be either her of Caitlin going home tonight for the girls... And this solo probably isn't doing much to plead her case. Even taking into account that ballroom solos are usually not too fantastic, this one was not impressive. The best part was Cat's "She's got fringe, and she's not afraid to shake it."

Vitolio: He's wearing no shirt (crap, I got that question wrong on the EW prediction game). Dancing to Coldplay, doing lots of jumps and arm/leg flailing. Not bad/not great. Ended with some strange butt wiggling.

Karla: Ok, she just won me over for good, because she's dacing to Radiohead's "15 Step," which is a flipping fantastic song. I think that automatically makes her my official favorite girl in this competition. Unfortunately, her time runs out right as the song gets really good. (Her dancing seemed good enough, but I was definitely so distracted by the song that I missed some of the finer points.)

Jonathan: Began with what looked like a martial arts display then did some flips and some "Latin steps" that I'm not impressed with. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get the boot this week.

Caitlin: Dancing to a slow version of "Que Sera Sera" and it's actually rather lovely. She ends it with a round-off, layout back flip, I guess to prove to Jon that she can tumble too.

Jason: Definitely a follower of the Travis Wall School of Dancing: his choreo here is very Travis and he's even wearing cargo shorts, which Travis was so fond of. But, seriously, I've got no probably with Travis Wall impressions. Jason's solo was the best of the boys tonight. (I bet Jason's having a rough day, since he was such a Michael Jackson devotee as a child.)

More play-by-play:
  • I was actually not totally hating the musical performance (by the Veronicas) for one of the few times in SYTYCD history, until the song devolved into a repeat chorus of "I want to kiss a girl...I want to kiss a girl...I want to kiss a boy...I want to kiss a boy..." That was kind of ridiculous.
  • And then the blond Veronica let out a horrifying scream at the end (worse even then Danny Gokey at the end of "Dream On," I'd say).

The results:

The girls: Nigel says Caitlin gave the best solo tonight and she's save. And Caitlin's literally just as shocked as the rest of us about that, LOL. Nigel says that Karla looked a little "desperate" tonight. Nigel is still infatuated with Asuka, but she's going home anyway. (I finally got one right on the EW prediction game! Yea!) I wonder if Asuka made that necklace she's wearing. If she did, I'm not convinced that she has a future in jewelry design...


The guys: How could the judges not be unanimous about this decision? It's obvious Jon needs to go. Nigel says that Vitolio needs to not hold back anymore. Nigel now says that Jon hasn't been good enough repeatedly this season (duh). Nigel says that Jason looked "desperate" tonight too--and insults his outfit! Ouch! Nigel apparently doesn't like Travis impersonations as much as I do. Nigel lectures Jon and Vitolio some more about not being strong enough, but says that Vitolio gets to stay. Jon getting the boot is apparently not going to break that many hearts, Nigel, because it sure doesn't seem like a lot of people are voting for him. (And, yea! I got another prediction right! I'm kicking ass and taking names this week!)

No comments:

Post a Comment