Friday, March 20, 2009

Breaking Bad: Meth Madness


Breaking Bad:
"Seven Thirty-Seven"

Yea! I'm glad this show is back; it's so flipping awesome. I watched and loved it last year (but never got around to blogging about it for some reason). Bryan Cranston winning the Best Actor in a Drama category at the Emmys was definitely one of the highlights of the awards ceremony for me (the others being Zeljko Ivanek winning Best Supporting Actor for Damages and Mad Men taking Best Drama. I also think that Aaron Paul deserved a nomination.). Geez, cable dramas are good.

In fact, I wonder if Breaking Bad isn't overall the best show on television (Steven King thinks it is). It certainly has got to be in the top five. It's amazing how quickly it can go from being completely devastating one second to absolutely hilarious the next and then right back to devastating. I mean, this show is grim. There's no way to deny that, but it also includes these moments of comic genius that break the tension for one quick beat. One I remember in particular was when Walt told Jesse that they'd need an eye-wash station in the RV where they were going to cook meth. I mean, does it get more high school chemistry teacher than that? It's these moments of unexpected, dark humor that keep us viewers from exploding from the stress or running screaming from the room.

This particular episode, however, was more terrifying that humorous (although that "rice 'n beans" joke was hysterical). Like seriously terrifying. As in, I'm a little scared to go to bed tonight, and Tuco doesn't know what I live. And that stuffed bear is going to haunt me. Holy crap.

Highlights and observations:

  • Oh my gosh. That is easily the creepiest looking stuffed animal I have ever scene. That thing is terrifying.
  • Oh, yeah, I forgot about the blue meth. (Wait, of course I forgot about it--this show hasn't been on for a freaking year.)
  • After an impressive display of mental math, Walt figures out that he needs to leave his family $737,000 to take care of their major future needs. That amounts to eleven more weeks of cooking meth and eleven more drug deals with Tuco, which Walt decides is "definitely doable."
  • One minute later, Tuco comes back because the guy he just beat up is now dead. He expects Walt to fix it, but come on: he's a science teacher, not a doctor! This is one crazy-ass drug deal. Tuco is beyond nuts. Eleven more drug deals with Tuco is suddenly not seeming "doable" at all.
  • I like their green nursery.
  • Well, I can understand why Jesse might think that he needs a gun to make it through 11 more Tuco deals, but I don't think it's going to help.
  • Walt: "This is conjecture."
  • Jesse: "Are you basing that on that he's got like a normal healthy brain or something?"
  • Wow, Walt and Jesse have gotten themselves into several "him or us" scenarios in a pretty short amount of time.
  • How much Splenda can Marie drink in her coffee? And, holy crap, she just ran over the poor kid's remote control car! She is hanging on by a thread.
  • Hank: "Try rolling it, morons! It's a barrel! It rolls!"
  • Holy effing heck, that's Tuco's car at Walt's house!
  • Ha! Skyler hung up on her sister! (I can't say that I blame her.)
  • Jesse: "Don't we, like, double our chances...mathematically?"
  • Walt: "I have a better idea: beans. Caster beans. ...We're going to process them into ricin."
    Jesse: "Rice 'n beans."
  • Ohhhh, I forgot about the tiara incident.
  • Maybe Hank will look the other way if he finds out about Walt's drug dealing since he looks the other way on his wife's shoplifting.
  • Hank: "We've got to be understanding. We've got to support the shit out of her."
  • I think Jesse is too involved with this ricin making. I wouldn't really trust that job to him.
  • Walt: "How much salesmanship to we really need? That degenerate snorts anything he gets his hands on."
  • Oh my gosh--I thought Hank blew up Walt's house or something since he called with the flashing police lights behind him. I totally fell for that fake out.
  • Ack! Tuco killed the big guy (Gonzo) too?
  • Who takes a picture of two murder victims and sends it to his brother-in-law?
  • Lock the door after you enter the house, Walt!
  • Don't leave the money and the gun on the floor of the nursery in a diaper box!
  • Wow, Hank and the other police people are jerks! Taking pictures with themselves and dead people? Ugh.
  • OMFG. Tuco's in the back seat of Jesse's car! AHHHHHHHHHH--and that's the end of the episode! Since I'm watching this a couple weeks late, I do already have the next episode on tape and I want to watch it, but I don't think I'd be able to handle another hour of this right now. I think I'd better give myself some time to recover. I hope Walt and Jesse will be ok. Especially Jesse--I love that kid.
  • So what the hell was up with that pink stuffed bear, anyway?

(photo: amctv.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment