Monday, July 9, 2007

Finding a bracelet and starting college...

Kyle XY:
I liked the episode this week despite not seeing any blatant Sour Patch Kids product placement. Did I miss it? It seems like it could have been worked into Josh's pot story line fairly seamlessly. Or Nicole could have offered the uncomfortable Jessie some SPKs to snack on during her first therapy session.

One thing I liked was that the episode was more about the characters and less about Zzyxx (Is that how you spell that? That's ridiculous.) and pondering the questions of Kyle's existence. I personally just like watching the kid flounder around in society.

Highlights:
"Otherwise, I would have heard the car start." Oh Kyle. Surely that big, over-developed brain of yours can find a way to use your supervision and hear loud noises at the same time.

Josh expressing his wariness at Nicole bringing her "freaky patients" into their house, followed by, "No offense, Kyle."

Kyle has a beautiful and naive faith in the criminal justice system. He asked Amanda how long she thought the robber who *didn't* steal her bracelet would be in prison. Granted the guy did do some breaking and entering, but people on Veronica Mars kill people and don't go to jail. Just saying.

I was wondering why Declan can't just decide to drop his Kyle obsession and apologize to Lori and get back together with her. Then I saw that he couldn't even open the door while holding a cardboard box. Yep, Declan is easily taxed.

Did Kyle eye up a prostitute in the police station? Ha ha ha.

The Tragers seriously keep pot from a long-ago New Years party in a shoe box in their closet? With their two stupid kids around? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Kyle takes failure very hard. He should probably work on that.

Kyle: I read the public records.
Lori: Which public records?
Kyle: All of them.

I love the Lori/Kyle team soooo much. I'm still holding out hope that Amanda and Declan will take a hike and Kyle and Lori can hook up. Until that happens though, I'm satisfied with the fact that being with Lori really improves Kyle's sense of humor. His crack about her spending a lot of time in the back seat of parked cars was down right snarky!

"Ok, easy, Veronica Mars!" Ahh. A VM reference. I am forever yours, Kyle XY.

Kyle's trading his ring for Amanda's bracelet was getting much too close to the plot of an O'Henry short story for my tastes...

Greek:
Hmm, yeah, probably the last time I'll be watching this show... My main problem with it was that the Greek kids all seemed waaaaay too old and the show's writers apparently watched Legally Blonde and assumed that that is how sorority girls act in real life. Yeah, I generally tried to avoid sororities as much as possible during my time at college, and even I know that this show's portrayal of them was totally wrong.

The highlight was Rusty's southern Christian "kind of racist" roommate played by Michael Cera's real life friend. That poor kid was transcending his material.

Another thing that bothered me was--and maybe I just feel this way because I've been watching waaay too much VM lately--that it seemed like they were plagiarizing from Veronica Mars. The sorority was "Zeta Beta," which if you add a "Theta" in there is the one Veronica "rushed." That one character was clearly Dick Casablancas only not nearly as funny and with just a bit of Hidden Palms' Cliff mixed in. And there was a character named BEAVER for crying out loud! Come on! ABC Family should just buy episodes of VM and show them instead. Veronica and Keith certainly are "a new kind of family."

No comments:

Post a Comment