Wednesday, July 30, 2008

SYTYCD: The Super Six

So You Think You Can Dance: Top 6 Performance Show

My take on last week's eliminations:
When the top 20 performers were named, Will was absolutely my favorite of the bunch. That said, I wasn't all that distressed that he was voted out last week for one reason: the judges. The more they gushed and gushed and gushed about Will the less and less and less I wanted to see him stick around. More than anything, the judges should take this as a lesson against over-hyping someone. Nothing about Will himself or his dancing ever made me want him off the show, however, so I was still sad to see him leave. He was absolutely a class act throughout the whole season, and his post-elimination speech was eloquent and uplifting as he encouraged viewers to pursue their dreams, saying "There's no depth to the ocean: Keep swimming."

As for Comfort, I think not getting eliminated two weeks in a row was a victory in and of itself for her. No big surprise that it was her time to go (again), but she, like Will, handled it beautifully.

This week:
How I would love to see Mark make it through this week too! I think everyone should vote for him just to piss Nigel off.

At first I thought I really liked Cat's sparkly silver dress, but now I'm not so sure. It has quite a high slit on the one side and something brown on the other...I'm confused.

How did I know Adam Shankman was going to be the third judge tonight? At least since it's only an hour-long show tonight, the judges won't have too much time to babble.

They put Mark with Courtney? Come on. Why does he always have to dance with the girl who almost got sent home the week before? That's not fair. Especially since it was clearly Mark's turn to dance with Katee. And TPTB are making Mark and Courtney dance first no less!

Courtney and Mark--Dance 1 (Viennese waltz): This was a very lovely performance. Wait, someone forgot to tell Adam that they're supposed to be low-balling Mark: he just said Mark did the best "rise and fall" of any guy on the show. Wait, now Mary thinks Mark has been "growing every single week"? Why has she never mentioned that before? Now I know what's going on; they think that if they're too mean to Mark he'll get sympathy votes, so they're being moderately nice.

Chelsie's solo: In a novel turn of events, she tries to do a solo without a ruffly dress on. I'm still not sold on it though.

Twitch's solo: Umm, the first half of the routine was a little light on the dancing. I don't need to see 10 seconds worth of Twitch putting on his glasses. Cat looks cute in them though ;-) Poor Cat wears someone else's grille and she still can't get nominated for an Emmy.

Katee and Joshua--Dance 1 (contemporary): Hmm, it's not like we haven't seen these two dance together a ton of times before... Can I please put a moratorium on routines choreographed to Celine Dion songs? I liked everything about this routine except the song. The lifts were especially cool. Is this a dance competition or an episode of "Namecheck Your Favorite Choreographer"? Come on. (And of course Nigel was "so thrilled" to hear that Katee and Josh were paired together--he paired them together!)

Chelsie and Twitch--Dance 1 (mambo): Poor Twitch is hilarious with his wondering where 1 and 5 went in mambo counting. Well, Chelsie really went to town with this routine. Twitch was certainly trying, but the basic mambo technique just wasn't there. The routine was really fast, though, so he didn't have much time to catch his breath. Hey, how come when Twitch is out of his element and does ok, he gets nothing but praise from the judges, but last week when Mark was out of his element and did ok, he got skewered?

Katee's solo: Props to her for trying to show a bit of a harder edge than we normally see from her in her solos. It was alright, but she definitely thrives more in the choreographed partner routines.

Joshua's solo: Easily the best solo so far. It was tons of fun, and he did some seriously difficult looking moves (and a crazy-high split leap).

Courtney and Mark--Dance 2 (jazz): Ahh, good, Mark can rock the crazy faux hawk again. I was a big fan of that routine: no gimmicks, just good music and strong choreo. And Mark and Courtney sold the hell out of it. They definitely tapped into some dark, raw energy, and they danced the routine beautifully. The routine certainly suited Mark's bizarre style, and Courtney had no problems channeling the weirdness either.

Katee and Joshua--Dance 2 (paso doble): I think I recently complained that here hadn't been a paso doble in a while, and now one appears. Josh finally has to do a shirtless number! I love Katee's skirt. I'd say they did a pretty good job for neither of them being a true ballroomer. Uh oh, the judge over-hype is starting to make me apathetic toward Katee and Josh. And that's not good, because I love them, and I think they're great dancers.

Courtney's solo: She might have wasted her best solo on last week's elimination show. In my opinion, she still did the best solo of the girls tonight.

Mark's solo: Ha, he's taking his shirt off too. Mark's dancing is just so weird. Half the time, it looks like he's doing an Arrested Development-esque chicken dance, but it's so freaking cool.

Chelsie and Twitch--Dance 2 (hip hop): Hmm, Twitch gets to hip hop again. On the other hand, Chelsie's only hip hop was that "lyrical" routine where she was jealous of Mark working too much, which wasn't really classic hip hop. Nooooooooooo, not Tabitha and Napoleon again...and they've come with a gimmick. Awesome. I do like Chelsie's crazy hair. Chelsie overdid the facial expressions, and that shorts/socks combo is not flattering. She did seem to be a pretty good hip hopper; her movements were definitely more blunt than Twitch's more fluid movements, but I don't know if that's bad or good or what.

My favorite routines:
Mark and Courtney's jazz
Katee and Josh's contemporary (minus the music)
Josh's solo/Mark's solo

If it were up to me, the Top 4 would be Katee, Josh, Mark, and Courtney.

No comments:

Post a Comment