Wednesday, July 23, 2008

SYTYCD: The Great Eight

So You Think You Can Dance: Top 8 Performance Show

Cat looks lovely tonight in a fairly understated black dress.

Toni Basil, of "Mickey" fame, is the third judge tonight. She's an interesting choice, but I think I'm going to miss Lil C.

I could live without everyone having to do a solo, personally.

Will and Courtney--Dance 1 (samba): Good, we need more Latin dances this season. Wow, Courtney's outfit is out of control. This routine seemed really long and tiring, but they did a good job of keeping their energy up the whole way through. There were a few parts where they didn't seem quite together, maybe, but when you looked at either one individually, they both looked like they were hitting it really hard. Courtney definitely looked like a samba queen (and I don't think it was just because of the outfit).

Comfort's solo: Who knew she had all this ballet training at school? It doesn't always show... While I feel like I've spent half my life watching Comfort do solos, I think this one was my favorite one yet.

Twitch and Katee--Dance 1 (contemporary): Two kids from the O.C.! It's like Ryan and Marissa 2.0! (Side note: Katee's beating the hell out of Twitch this week--first she punched him in the eye, now she's kicking him...) It's a Duffy song, but the routine is clearly depicting the Life Story of Amy Winehouse (complete with her hair and makeup). Was I the only one worried that Katee was going to get her fingers slammed in the door? This routine was edgier than other routines of Mia's, and I liked it. Katee kicked the crap out of the dancing, both of them nailed the performance, there was a hardcore kiss and a lot of door slamming...what's not to love? (I could, however, deal without the Nigel/Mary sex innuendos.)

Will's solo: Will started dancing because he loved the final dance in Dirty Dancing! That's adorable. They should make a Dirty Dancing tribute routine for him to do sometime. Holy crap! He's dressed like James Brown! Are you kidding me?! I'm not sure the "dancing" was the best he's ever done, but the whole thing was freaking hilarious. Way to go out on a limb instead of doing the same contemporary solo week after week after week.

Mark and Comfort--Dance 1 (hip hop): Wow, they're making last week's bottom two survivors dance together? They are really hanging these two out to dry. Comfort gets to dance hip hop two weeks in a row? That doesn't make much sense; she hasn't had to do a Latin dance in forever. Well, Mark definitely has the "stank face" down. This was not my favorite hip hop routine ever, but I'm putting that on the shoulders of the choreographers (Napoleon and Tabitha), not the dancers. Mark and Comfort both did a good job. I did appreciate that it was a bit harder than N&T's typical "lyrical hip hop."

Katee's solo: Not the most interesting thing ever, but her dancing was lovely, as per usual.

Joshua and Chelsie--Dance 1 (Argentine tango): Dmitry! I'm not quite as excited to see him as I would be to see Pasha, but I'm still excited. Chelsie was giving Josh a really hard time during practice, eeesh. Someone in the costume department must have gotten a discount on fringe this week. The lighting was really dark during this routine; I think it was a darn hot routine, but it was a little hard to see. I think this was definitely the best tango we've seen this season.

Mark's solo: Mark was the only boy dancer in his liberal arts school, poor kid. He says he was always a little weird. His solo dances display that weirdness, but he has definitely learned to use it to his advantage.

Will and Courntey--Dance 2 (hip hop): NOOOooooooo. I don't want to see any more slow/lyrical hip hop. I'm over it. But Will's playing a ghost, so maybe that will save it... Courtney's outfit is weird. Well, this routine was better than most of T&N's lyrical hip hop numbers, and Will and Courtney danced it quite well--I wouldn't say it's going down in SYTYCD history though. I think Mary just suggested that we "cart [her] away and take [her] to the funny farm"--don't give us any ideas, Mary. I wish Lil C were here to critique the hip hop numbers.

Chelsie's solo: She was wearing some seriously hardcore makeup in the photos from the ballroom competitions. Hey, look, more fringe! I've seen other ballroom dancers do better solos.

Katee and Twitch--Dance 2 (Broadway): Why does Katee always have to do Broadway? Wait, again Katee wants Twitch and Twitch doesn't want her? I'm noticing a theme... Katee kind of stole the show with her superior technique, but Twitch does really bring it with his performance. The lifts were wild (esp. the one where she stradled his neck and he did a wiggly walk). This was one of my favorite Broadway SYTYCD routine ever (I think this season's Broadway SYTYCD numbers have been better than they were in the past). Katee hasn't done a bad routine yet.

Joshua's solo: I wished his solo had been a little longer, because he was just getting into it when it was time to stop. The boy can be sick though, when he wants to be.

Courtney's solo: Best female solo of the night--she displayed lovely dancing and great musicality. It was a powerful little performance.

Twitch's solo: I'm going to call this an old-school street-style solo. I'm not sure if that's the correct terminology, but "street" seems to be the watchword tonight (esp. from Toni), so I'm going to go with it.

Mark and Comfort--Dance 2 (fox trot): Here comes the payback for Comfort getting to do hip hop again... I love Mark when he's dressed up in Swing Era attire. Wow, they performed this routine better than I was expecting (close hold not withstanding, I guess). Ideally it could have been faster and smoother, but it also could have been much worse. I think Comfort did better with this than she did in any of her previous ballroom attempts (and it would have been nice if one of the judges had pointed that out). The spinning lift at the end was hot.

Joshua and Chelsie--Dance 2 (disco): Chelsie is coming off really annoying this week... Well, they're certainly sparkly to say the least. I can't believe they're ending the show with disco. Poor Josh, I feel bad that they made him do this ;-) The lifts were cool, especially the Dirty Dancing-esque spinning one (which is apparently called "the superman lift"), but I wasn't thrilled with the rest. Chelsie did do a good job of being a feisty disco diva.

While I don't enjoy agreeing with the judges, I concurr that this was a really great show tonight! By far the best night of performances this season. It's hard to pick favorites tonight.

Favorite Routines:
Twitch and Katee's contemporary
Twitch and Katee's Broadway
Solos from Will, Courtney, and Josh

Who's In Trouble:
Girls: It seems likely that Comfort will be sent home for good this week. Aside from her, I wasn't all that impressed with Chelsie this week--she did well in both of her dances, but nothing blew me away.
Guys: This is a really tough call. I'd love for Mark to stay around, but I don't want to see Josh, Will, or Twitch go either. Performance wise, I didn't think Will was as amazing as he has been, and Josh got stuck with some difficult dance styles--but both of their solos were great. I think Twitch made a case to stay with both of his couple dances. I'm at a loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment