Wednesday, July 16, 2008

SYTYCD: It's the Top 10, Baby!

So You Think You Can Dance: Top 10 Performance Show

Pre-show prediction of who is in trouble this week: Gev (process of elimination) and Comfort (seeing as she was already eliminated once)

So, let's find out what's wrong with Jessica: She doesn't look particularly injured... She "broke two ribs and fractured one"--wait, what's the difference between a "break" and a "fracture"? Whatever. It doesn't seem to have affected her ability to walk around in really high heels and a really tight dress. So that, at least, is something.

As for Comfort: I can't really see this shaking out in any other way than her getting voted out this week. And getting eliminated two weeks in a row has got to really suck. At least she (and Thayne) can go on the tour.

It's nice to see Lil C on the judges panel tonight. At least I'm fairly confident that he's not going to just start shrieking...

Courtney and Joshua--Dance 1 (hip hop): Courtney has never "popped" before. It will be nice to see Josh do hip hop because I feel like I haven't seen him dance in his own style in a really long time. Courtney's hair is fantastic! (Speaking of hair, has Josh's hair always been this long? He's got quite a pony tail.) Well, I'm not popping expert, but it looks like Courtney's doing a good job to me, and I'm just glad to watch a hip hop routine that's not choreographed by Tabitha and Napoleon.

Chelsie's solo: Ahh, the solo, the bane of the ballroom dancer's existence. It was fairly standard fair, but she did a pretty good job. And her tiered dress made everything look extra cool.

Kherington and Mark--Dance 1 (Texas two step): Good riddance, Twitchington, I'm so over that pairing. I had a feeling Mark would be paired with Kherington this week, because she needs someone tall. Ok, so what I'm gathering is that the two step involves a lot of spinning around. Their dancing seemed oddly slow and not as smooth as it could be. Kherington's bikini top is weird too (it reminds me of Star Wars for some reason). Kherington looks slightly terrified--because of the dance or out of fear of a wardrobe malfunction? Mary's putting the blame on Kherington and her lack of connections.

Gev's solo: It was cool how he took off one of his shirts while doing a cartwheel. Other than that, it wasn't that exciting.

Comfort and Twitch--Dance 1 (smooth waltz): Seriously? They're making Comfort and Twitch do a smooth waltz?! That's just mean! Twitch: "I have a big hand though, so she has a big seat." At least Comfort has some chemistry with this partner. As far as waltzes go, this isn't the best one I've ever seen by far, but the performance level was better than I was expecting. The lift at the end was nice. Cat: "No one puts Comfort in the corner."

Courtney's solo: She started out with a lot of flopping to the ground (looked better than it sounds). I liked this solo--it mixed some leg extensions and "tricks" with some other dance moves.

Will and Katee--Dance 1 (Broadway): Sight unseen, I love this pair. Will's a cute nerd. I still, however, do not love SYTYCD Broadway routines, but as far as they go, this is one of the better ones. It was very well danced. Dimitri and Mia are hanging out together in the audience! Lil C says Will and Katee were "explosive in the character and even more explosive in the choreography," and I agree.

Mark's solo: Mark's own style of dancing is so weird. He always dances like a mad scientist or something. Nevertheless, I like it and I hope, hope, hope he doesn't get voted off this week.

Chelsie and Gev--Dance 1 (contemporary): Poor Gev, they're sure making him out to be kind of pervy... I like the song, I like how this contemporary routine is almost waltzy at times, and I like the lifts and the incorporation of Gev's tricks. I'm a fan. Nigel needs to stop pushing this Gev/Courntey stuff.

Comfort's solo: Why do I feel like I've seen this before?

Twitch's solo: I like the floor coverage that Twitch works into his hip hop solos and also his nice, fluid movements.

Courtney and Joshua--Dance 2 (rumba): Ahh, the boringest of all the Latin dances... (Why haven't we seen a paso doble since the first episode?) Wow, Josh is selling it; he's having one of his I-don't-look-like-a-hip-hop-dancer moments. I liked this routine significantly better than the other SYTYCD rumbas that I remember. It was a little faster and that last lift kicked ass. I'm glad that Josh has also noticed that Will and Twitch are "always nekkid on stage."

Katee's solo: This is the first time we've seen her dancing by herself in quite a while, and it's definitely worth watching. You can see the technique that everyone is raving about, but I also thought she did a good job of interpreting the music.

Kherington and Mark--Dance 2 (jazz): This routine is kind of disco-tastic. Not a bad routine at all, and I hope it's enough to keep Mark in the competition. They showed good technique. These last few weeks, I've noticed something lacking in how Kherington relates to her partner.

Will's solo: Hang on, Will's dancing and his chest is thoroughly covered...wait, what?!

Comfort and Twitch--Dance 2 (hip hop): I figured they were going to give this pair a hip hop number to make up for the smooth waltz. The futuristic costumes are fun. Twitch did the backwards worm! So, based on the individual hip hopping merits of these two dancers, putting them together should make for the best hip hop routine ever, and, you know what, I think it kind of was. I've liked other hip hop routines better for the characters (Transformers, mannequins, nerds, etc), but as for the quality of hip hop dancing (and, granted, I'm no expert), I think this one took the cake. And I'll agree with Lil C that this was the best performance by Comfort ever (she stole the show in my opinion). So apparently, getting eliminated is what it takes to give Comfort a kick in the pants.

Kherington's solo: Um, I'm not all that impressed. I'm beginning to feel like we've seen all K has to offer.

Katee and Will--Dance 2 (pas de deux?! WTF?): Katee's become quite the new dance pioneer. Ahh, look, Wills not wearing a shirt. Wow, I didn't know Katee's legs bent like that either! I think this is a perfect dance for these two technically proficient dancers. I'll say that I'm a fan of the pas de deux, (or "pa de dure" as I spelled it. Ha.) which, I guess, is kind of like ballet. Whatever it was, Katee and Will were super. You know, I think I'd like to see Katee win this whole contest.

Joshua's solo: We haven't seen him dance a solo in a long time either. Well, he made me giggle. I like how he seems so sweet in real life but can put on such an attitude when he's dancing.

Chelsie and Gev--Dance 2 (jive): Ok, come on, guys, we need a good jive this season... Not to quote Mary Murphy, but when Chelsie's doing a ballroom-type dance, she is one hot tamale. Gev's personality translates well into a jive, even if he's not the best jive technician ever.

Major kudos to Lil C's judging tonight. I had a good feeling about him, and he came through. I liked how he even attempted to give constructive criticism instead of just complimenting people for looking hot and saying, "WOOOOOOOOO!"

Best Routines:
Chelsie and Gev's contemporary
Comfort and Twitch's hip hop
Katee and Will's pas de deux

Who Should Go:
Girls: Kherington (In my opinion, Comfort saved herself with the hip hop, and Kherington wasn't great at anything tonight.)
Boys: Well, I imagine it will be either Mark or Gev, and I'm not really sure who it should be. Neither of them were all that remarkable tonight.

Tomorrow night: A group Bollywood number!!! Mia choreographing the girls!!! A mystery guest working with the boys!!! Sweet!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment