Wednesday, June 11, 2008

SYTYCD: 20 Dancers Dancing

So You Think You Can Dance? The Top 20 Dance
I just read on Blogging SYTYCD that apparently Heidi got married recently. Congratulations, Heidi! I wonder if she choreographed her wedding dance. Maybe she taught her fiance the bench dance? Well, actually, I guess that one doesn't really have the right tone for a wedding...oh well.

Onto my chronological account of tonight's show...

Wow, it seems like there are an awful lot of dancers up there.

So we have to keep track of two Courtneys (spelled differently) and Chelsies (spelled differently)? And what kind of a name is Kherington? Comfort? Thayne? And speaking of names, why are all their names spelled so oddly (Kourtni, Katee, etc.)? Are they really spelled like this or did the producers change them?

Good call on starting the season off with Dan as the third judge, because they need someone who will be mean.

I agree with Dan; I have no idea who the early front runners are.

Oh no, we're already resorting to filler. We've just watched 3 weeks worth of audition shows--we don't need to see anymore. Please.

Rayven and Jamie: Rayven is the oldest competitor at 28. Jamie is kind of annoying--where do these West Coast Swing people come from? Eesh, why did they have her pull off his pants? This seems like the longest routine in SYTYCD history! Yeah, I don't think this routine is very memorable...I've forgotten it already. Mary seems especially bizarre and over-the-top tonight. Thank you, Dan, for pointing out the performance's lack of funk. Why are these two way more animated during the reading of their phone number than they were during their actual performance?

Susie and Marquis: This girl is a high school teacher?! It seems like a lot of the contestants this year have family issues; that's not good. Susie is sooo much easier to take when she's fully clothed. Susie's leg extensions are nice. The lift at the end was a little rocky. Oh, Nigel, I knew they didn't get the lift right--thanks for giving me so little credit.

Kourtni and Matt: I like these two already. 5 foot 9 and 6 foot 3! Can't say I really understand what makes something "jazz." I think Matt's stealing the show here. Diamond dust? Whatever... Nigel just said Matt looks like there's a broomstick shoved up his ass; that was way harsh. Cat: "On a personal note, I feel almost normal-sized!"

Chelsea and Thayne: I'd like Chelsea better if she wore longer shorts and shirts. Thayne got made fun of because he danced and not because of, well, being a "Thayne"? Well, you can kind of tell that they're not ballroom dancers, but they're doing pretty well. Thayne has a gigantic smile. Melanie, the choreographer, just looks glad that no one got sick so she didn't have to dance this one.

Chelsie and Mark: What would Tim Burton's wedding be like? Oh, Mia... Yeah, this is weird... No wonder Mark couldn't understand what he was supposed to be doing--he's acting like a bird. Chelsie's dress is great for dancing. All the lifts were innovative and fantastic. Is Chelsie's eye makeup supposed to be all messed up? I can't tell if that's part of the Tim Burton look or not. Dan: "[Mia] asks you do go someplace and I have no idea where that is, but I assume that's where you went."

Kherington and Twitch: K's costume is losing feathers. I'm so never a big fan of the Broadway numbers. I feel like they were dancing the heck out of it (esp. K at the very end), and it just doesn't work that well for some reason. I do agree that Kherington is pretty great--even if her name is extremely cumbersome.

Comfort and Chris: Comfort is funny. Chris seems like a nice fellow. These two get my seal of approval. Yea, a jive! Comfort is using somewhat unconventional facial expressions during this routine. I liked this performance--Comfort did a pretty good job for a hip hop dancer. Comfort: "You ain't never seen me in no bra and panties and beads!" Ha! Eesh, Comfort dislocated her shoulder and is still going! How Elise Ray of her.

Katee and Joshua: I feel badly for Joshua for getting saddled with Katee after she dug herself into a huge hole during the top 20 selections. Well, at least Katee is apparently a fast reader... Gotta say, Katee is actually really good at this style of dance--way better than I was expecting. Ooh, the jacket switch at the end was cool. That hip hop routine was way better than the first hip hop routine (in both choreography and performance). Natalie's here! She seems like such a sweet girl.

Jessica and Will: I like Will. Not sold on Jessica though. I think Will looks great; Jessica's facial expressions are off though...she's smiling at the wrong times and then not smiling and then hitting a smile really fast, and it just looks weird. The lift at the end was cool. Did someone tell Mary she couldn't say anything negative at all tonight? "Couple to beat"?! Come on. I'd say Will's one of the stand out boys so far, but Jessica wasn't nearly as noteworthy as the other girls we've seen so far. Along with Rayven, she's in fact among the most forgettable.

Courtney and Gev: Gev is from Kazakhstan--that's interesting. He really doesn't have much of an accent at all. Hmm, disco...that's always hit or miss. Yep, Courtney is better than Jessica too. This routine is pretty classic, stereotypical disco, but it's fun. Nigel picks now to start being mean? Come on. See--even Dan liked it.

Overall, I don't think I was as impressed by this year's top 20 as I was with last year's. Not that any of them were bad, but I wasn't really stunned by anything either.

My favorites:
Kourtni & Matt's jazz
Chelsie & Mark's contemporary
Comfort & Chris's jive
Will (& Jessica)'s tango

People who might be in trouble tomorrow night:
Rayven, Jamie, Marquis, Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment