Wednesday, June 25, 2008

SYTYCD: 16 Dancers Dancing

So You Think You Can Dance: Top 16 Dance
I didn't get to comment on last week's elimination, so I'll do a little of that now. I can't say I was sad to see Suzi go. I was a bit confused by the choice to kick off Marquis, because his solo performance was the first time yet that I saw any appeal to him at all. I thought his solo was easily the best of anyone's, but I guess that means I fell for all the "tricks." And, personally, I'd have gladly shown Thayne the door as soon as I got the opportunity.

After the first two eliminations, it seems fairly clear that the judges like to kick off both halves of a couple at once, instead of forcing two 'widows' to form a new partnership. I'm not really sure why, because new couples can be interesting.

Cat looks like she's getting married tonight. And she has some seriously big hair.

Travis and Lacey are going to be dancing in Keri Russell and Adam Sandler's "Bedtime Stories"? That's awesome!

Kherington and Twitch (hip hop): This is a long intro to the dance--I see we're really stretching the content to fill 2 hours. I liked the parts of this routine where they were actually dancing, but there was also a fair amount of posing, posturing, and making faces that I could have done without. I enjoyed the facial expressions Kherington was making during the side-by-side dancing--she went beyond the typical "gangster" face. I think Kherington did raise her hip hop dancing up to a high level.

Courtney and Gev (rumba): Courtney handled her dress getting caught on her heel at the beginning of the routine well. This routine's somewhat boring. I guess the rumba's kind of boring in general. I remember that I thought Sabra and Dominic's rumba last year was boring too. Hey, speaking of Dominic, there he is in the audience. And, yes, Courtney's half-a-dress is distracting; I guess they thought that a bold costuming statement was necessary to keep the audience awake.

(The judges are acting even more drunk than usual tonight, I think. Nigel and Mary suggesting that Adam says too much is definitely the pots calling the kettle black.)

Comfort and Chris (jazz): Comfort was in a beauty pageant?! Ha! Oh, good, earthy jazz! (I'm actually serious about liking earthy jazz--Travis and Heidi's season 2 earthy routine was great.) I think Comfort's dong a really good job of selling this; Chris might be a little over-the-top, or perhaps not earthy enough. Overall, I liked it--which means the judges probably didn't. Yep, I was right. Why do I never agree with them anymore? I do also like Chris' eye makeup ;-)

Jessica and Will (disco): Oh no, disco! I don't even wish disco on Jessica. Ugh, I take that back; I can't stand her. Wow, Will is really going for this whole-hog--that takes guts. Yeah, Will's still leaving Jessica in his dust, and I'd say it's worse this week than last week. There was nothing captivating about her at all during this. I love how Nigel always has to apologize for the disco routines and tell us how great Doriana is. If the routine's were really that great, we'd notice. Shocker, I disagree with Mary--Jessica did not step up to the plate.

Kourtni and Matt (contemporary): Matt wears a ninja mask?! That's bordering on Seth Cohen-esque there. Wow, guest choreographer Sonya has a serious mohawk! Ooh, a comic book dance? Seth Cohen would like this. This "contemporary" is definitely unlike any other contemporary routine we've seen on this show. It's has some hip hop overtones, and it's not deep and dark and about unrequited love. Kourtni's yellow eye shadow is fantastic. Ok, I agree with the judges for the first time tonight: I'm also buying the quirky, weird contemporary.

Chelsea and Thayne (quick step): Ahh, the first quick step of the season...let's hope it helps to get rid of Thayne. Could someone please turn him down about several thousand notches? Geez. I do like Chelsea's shiny, sparkly dress. I'm not actually seeing a whole lot of quick steps here... Ok, here we go; it's definitely better when they're actually quick stepping instead of posturing in the same spot of the floor. Nigel's right; Thayne's omnipresent jumbo smile is insufferable.

Chelsie and Mark (hip hop): Wait, Chelsie's hip hopping in that outfit? But it's not baggy pants and a corset! And Mark's in a suit! I'm confused... Hip hop about a work-a-holic? Really? I couldn't be a hip hop choreographer--I don't have enough cool hats. I think Mark's doing quite a good job. Whoa, the part toward the end where his movements were directing her movements (yeah, I didn't describe that well...Nigel called it "the manipulation of her") was awesome. If I ran this show, I'd put a moratorium on Mary saying the words "hard-hitting."

Katee and Joshua (samba): Katee only got a half-a-dress too. Joshua looks nothing like a hip hop dancer while he's doing this--he definitely looks classically trained. Katee looked kind of like Kristi Yamaguchi during this dance. Joshua's pants are quite tight. Anyway, they did a good job--not my favorite routine ever though. Good choice for a couple to end the show, however; these guys have turned into a sure thing.

My Favorites:
Kourtni and Matt
Comfort and Chris
Chelsie and Mark/Katee and Joshua

Probably in Trouble:
Chelsea and Thayne
Jessica and Will (unless Will's hot Travolta move saved them)
and maybe Courntney and Gev (it wasn't that memorable)

No comments:

Post a Comment