Wednesday, June 18, 2008

SYTYCD: 18 Dancers Dancing

So You Think You Can Dance: Top 18 Dance

Opening thoughts:
  • Suzi's pants in the intro were horrific.
  • I can barely recognize Kournti Lind with her hair like that.
  • Mia's got platinum hair!
  • Mia thinks this season is going to be "banoodles." Ha, that's a great word.

Thayne and Chelsea (jazz): Thayne needs to not do impressions of Chelsea; that's not necessary. Ugh, strike that: Thayne needs to not talk at all. Ever. Chelsea's lipstick color could be better. As could this routine; it seems like a succession of poses and not a whole lot of dancing. Something definitely doesn't work about it, but I'm not sure I can identify what. Oh, good, Mia agrees with me. Yea! Mia's going to actually be mean to people! Whoa, Mary's even complaining about this one. I guess the judges decided they were too nice last week. Honestly, upon reflection, that might be one of my least favorite SYTYCD routines ever--it was just really boring.

Mark and Chelsie (Argentine tango): Benji and Heidi had fewer problems with pretending to be romantic than these two, and they were cousins. Is the camera work different this season, or something? Is that why I think everything looks a little weird? This is good; Chelsie's swirly leg kicks are pretty, and Mark looks very Latin and intense. I think there were parts here and there that could have been smoother. Oh no, Chelsie's shoe was coming off--that's no good at all. Mark does kind of look like a classic movie star tonight; eesh, I actually agree with Mary about something. Hmm, I also agree with Nigel: it would have been nice if it were a bit sleazier ;-)

Will and Jessica (hip hop): It's nice of Will to try to explain to me what the best thing about Jessica is, because I haven't figured that out yet. Yes, Jessica, "America is able to relate to hip hop," but the tango is completely beyond us... Doesn't anyone do hard-hitting hip hop anymore? I think the synchronization was a little off at times, and the song was annoying, but I guess it was okay. Jessica did better than she did last week--at least her facial expressions weren't so blatantly wrong. Now Mary's being hard on Jessica after ignoring how iffy she was last week.

Kournti and Matt (fox trot): Ouch, that's a tough draw. When has anyone ever "changed their fortunes" for the better with a fox trot? Oh, I like this a lot already. These two are good at the Fred Astaire/Grace Kelly thing. Ooh, that last pose was really cool too. At least Mia likes poor Matt. Mary's being super harsh this week to make up for how stupidly happy she was about everything last week.

Gev and Courtney (contemporary): Courtney talks to the camera like she's speaking to a 2-year-old. I wonder if Mandy Moore's contemporary choreo is going to sink these two like her last two jazz numbers have. There are some super cool lifts in this one. That was good; nothing groundbreaking, but a nice, old-school love story contemporary routine. Wait, Mia thinks Courtney "jazz-i-fied" it; but what does that mean? I do agree that Gev was good in this--much better than last week.

Joshua and Katee (Broadway): Let's see how last week's golden children do this week. Joshua is good at doing turns for a hip hopper. Well, that didn't particularly change my opinion that the Broadway numbers are never the coolest, but it was definitely one of the better SYTYCD Broadway numbers ever. They performed the routine very well. Katee definitely is way better than I originally realized. I think she's a force.

Marquis and Suzi (salsa): WHAT IS ON SUZI'S HEAD?! Marquis is a goofball? Who knew? This routine wasn't nearly as good as the salsa that Benji and Heidi did in the season two finale. I did notice Marquis this week, and I didn't last week, so I guess that's good. I didn't think it was as bad as the judges did though. Suzi's outfit wasn't doing her any favors either. I think the routine was a little t0o ambitious for these two at this stage of the competition.

Twitch and Kherington (Viennese waltz): Twitch wears fake glasses, ha. These two get to do the night's "very special routine." I like their costumes (not sure why Twitch's shirt is hanging open though). Fantastic lift. This is an interesting waltz in that K isn't in heels and it's kind of like a waltz/contemporary hybrid. Hmm, Mia says K smiled too much (I would have liked that comment a few times last week). Twitch did do a good job too--he didn't look like a b-boy.

Chris and Comfort (krump): He he, just the thought of Chris krumping makes me giggle. I don't know, I think he's doing okay though. His krump doesn't look quite as natural as Comfort's does, but I think he's getting there. I agree with Mia; he pulled it off. Nigel and Mary clearly don't agree with me. Okay, we need to trim this show down by at least a half an hour, because these judges have waaaaay too much time to blab.

My favorites:
Chelsie and Mark
Kourtni and Matt

Probably in trouble:
Chelsea and Thayne
Suzi and Marquis

No comments:

Post a Comment