Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Premiere Watch '07: Aliens in America

Aliens in America offered up a pretty good pilot. There were definitely some funny and sweet moments. The teenage misfit theme of the show reminded me vaguely of Malcolm in the Middle, but I think Malcolm was funnier than AiA.

Raja was a highlight. He had a very good delivery of both his comedic and emotional material. The scene with him being shanghaied in his classroom was really good. I was a little lukewarm on Justin, though, because he seemed over-the-top at times ("Why would you say that about Grammie?!"). He did have several of the funniest lines, like when he said he told Raja things he hadn't even told the "guys from chorus," and when he was so excited that one boy in the locker room took a step to the side so he could fit in the circle.

I thought that Scott Patterson a.k.a. Luke Danes was miscast... which, perhaps, is why he wasn't originally the guy cast in this role. Maybe the problem, though, is that I'll always find Scott Patterson to be miscast in any role that doesn't involve him wearing a backwards baseball hat and a flannel shirt and yelling at everyone.

Oh and I also have to point out how creepy it was that Justin's guidance counselor was Clarence Wiedman from Veronica Mars! That guy is so scary! I'd be terrified if he was my guidance counselor!

Maybe the problem here wasn't AiA, but the fact that I'm having misfit/nerdy boy overload. Almost every new show I'm watching is about a misfit/nerdy boy (Chuck, Reaper, AiA, Pushing Daisies, Gossip Girl, etc.). I'm normally all about the misfit/nerdy boys, but even I think this might be excessive. Where are all the misfit/nerdy girls on TV?

So, good start for Aliens in America, but I wouldn't say that I'm addicted (yet).

Premiere Rating: 7 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment