Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Cliff-Dancing

Yeah, I couldn't think of a title so I just took the two highlights of Wednesday night summer television--SYTYCD and Cliff from Hidden Palms--and hyphenated. It's kind of like "cliff-diving," only not. Ok, yes, any title that requires this much explanation is not a good one.

So You Think You Can Dance:
Whoa! These 20 dancers are fantastic! Granted, I watched the episode while simultaneously watching Hidden Palms and, God help me, the first ten minutes of One Tree Hill, and missed a few of the couples, but every pair that I saw was really bringing it. Last year's top twenty definitely had some weak links and it wasn't until we were down to ten or so dancers that the cuts became painful, but this year looks like it's going to be tough the whole way through. I guess my favorites of the night were the two (I don't know names yet) who performed the jive. They were very good. It made the jives on Dancing with the Stars look like, um, the crappy imitation jives that they were?

And I also like how it seems that everyone in this year's top 20 has a connection to last year's top 20: little sisters, an adopted brother, cousins... That's awesome. And seeing Benji and Travis in the audience just made me miss them more. Tonight's display of dance also inspired me to go on YouTube to watch Benji and Heidi do their routine to "Black Mambo." That thing is sick. Like one of the judges said last season, I totally want them to perform that number at my birthday party.

Hidden Palms:
I don't really like this show. I don't care much for Johnny, I can't stand Greta, I have no interest in the lurking "smart" girl whose name I still can't remember, I see nothing very special about Nikki, all parental storylines bore me to tears, and the show has the worst theme song sequence I have ever seen. But that said, I was absolutely engaged in this entire hour of television for one reason: Cliff. Ok, Michael Cassidy was cute on The O.C. as Zach, but he was never this engaging. I guess it's too late to restructure the entire show around Cliff? Because then I think we'd have something.

Highlights--
Johnny: What's your problem?
Cliff: I don't have a problem, but you seem to be strung a little tight.

And Cliff calling his mom's new boyfriend on his lies, then saying, "You should really Google yourself."

It seems like Hidden Palms is doomed anyway since the CW in its infinite wisdom (I now think every decision the CW makes is stupid) has decided to show two episodes every week so they'll all be burned off by July 4. But I sincerely hope that somebody out there with a TV show notices what a catch Michael Cassidy has become, gobbles him up and gives him something juicy to do :-)


Oh, and just a warning that tonight there was a sign that hell may be freezing over: One Tree Hill made me laugh. Out loud. I am so ashamed. Here's what did it:

Minkus: Is this shirt a little blouse-y? ... Do I look like I'm competing in men's figure skating?
Laguna Beach guy: You look like you're winning men's figure skating.

No comments:

Post a Comment