Wednesday, July 9, 2008

SYTYCD: 12 Dancers Dancing

So You Think You Can Dance: Top 12 Dance

Last week's eliminations: Well, I guess it's been established that I'd have shown Thayne and Comfort the door in a hot minute, so obviously I was annoyed that they escaped elimination again. Kourtni Lind and Matt were my favorites of the bottom six, but I can understand why they were eliminated. No matter how they danced, America never seemed to vote for them, so they were just going to keep ending up in the bottom three week after week after week. I think the judges should be regretting how many contemporary dancers they put in the Top 20.

I like Cat's dress tonight.

Yea, Mia's on the judging panel tonight! As much as I enjoy her choreography, I appreciate her being on the judging panel just as much. She tends to add some honesty and sanity to the proceedings. And how scary is it that Mia Michaels is the sanest one at the table?

The first ever SYTYCD Bollywood routine?! Bring it on.

Chelsie and Mark--Dance 1 (salsa): Hot little outfit Chelsie's got there, and Mark fits the Latin role well. I'm liking this a lot; see why you should put ballroom dancers on this show? The lift at the end was great--but how he put her down was even cooler!! I think that was the coolest move if seen on SYTYCD all year!

Mia (to Chelsie): "You're so gorgeous, I want to stab you." Eesh, I guess my sanity comment was premature.

Comfort and Thayne--Dance 1 (hip hop): By giving them hip hop, SYTYCD is definitely trying to show us why Comfort is here. Major props to Napoleon and Tabitha for trying to get Thayne to stop smiling--that earns them some major brownie points in my book. Well, as far as softer hip hop goes, this routine was all right, and "all right" is the highest praise these two are ever going to get from me. The best part was Cat namechecking Days of Our Lives. (Hmm, yeah, guess what, SYTYCD? We still don't know why these people are still here.)

Jessica and Will--Dance 1 (contemporary from Tyce): Wow, Will's got some seriously short shorts on! It took me so long to get over that, that I think I missed half of the dance. Well, this is nice; I'm sure the judges and the pre-teen girls are going to go gaga over it. Gotta say, though, that it still looks like Jessica is just a prop Will's dancing with. Ha, Mary's "You Tarzan, me Jane" comment was actually amusing. Mary seems slightly toned down tonight--it's nice, and I wonder how long it will last. Tyce and Mia hang out together at her house?

Courntey and Gev--Dance 1 (cha cha): PASHA AND ANYA!!!! Ok, I'm confused, because last time I checked, Kazakhstan was not Russia. Ooh, they started with a nice lift. Courtney always looks like she's having so much fun when she's dancing. Honestly, I can't even concentrate on the dance and whether it's good or not, because I'm so excited to see Pasha. Pasha's sooooooo freaking adorable.

Kherington and Twitch--Dance 1 (krump): Didn't they already krump? I guess that was someone else...apparently my krump recall is not what it could be. Kherington's got some seriously tight, seriously shiny pants. Kherington might actually have been overdoing the gangster attitude, but I thought her dancing was pretty good. Twitch was good too, as expected. That was possibly my favorite SYTYCD krump routine ever, but I guess that's not saying all that much. Ouch, Nigel just compared Kherington to Miley Cyrus--that's uncalled for.

***Wow, I just switched over to 13 Going On 30 just in time to see the "Thriller" dance! Yea! Violet's got the coolest mom ever...***

Katee and Joshua--Dance 1 (Viennese waltz): Josh is playing a ghost. Shouldn't he be wearing white? Or a big sheet? If they hadn't told me he was a ghost, I'd have never picked up on it. In any event, this wasn't a bad waltz. Katee's leg kicks were gorgeous, and the "snake" lift thing was stunning. Waltz expert Mary says it didn't glide enough, and I'll buy into that.

Chelsie and Mark--Dance 2 (Broadway): I tried to guess what style they were dancing based on their outfits, and couldn't come up with anything. Mark looks kind of mime-ish, but I don't know what style of dance that translates into. Broadway, apparently. I guess that fits--suspenders definitely say "Broadway" or "jazz." Who knew Mark could do turns and splits? These two do dance very well together, considering how they seem to merely begrudgingly tolerate each other in the practices ;-)

Nigel: "You'd never go into a kitchen dressed like that, would you?"
Cat: "Not to cook."

Comfort and Thayne--Dance 2 (contemporary): First Comfort's style, now Thayne's. Hmm, someone's getting tonight handed to them on a platter. Or, more likely, someone's getting set up to fail and is about to have the hammer dropped on them. That's a frumpy dress Comfort's got on, especially considering the get-ups that Chelsie, Jessica, and Courtney have had on. Again, I'm going to say that this routine was better than usual for these two purely because Thayne wasn't smiling. I didn't think it was as bad as the judges did; this couple is getting a little low-balled tonight, but I'm not about to become a Comfort and Thayne defender here.

Jessica and Will--Dance 2 (quick step): The quick step: AHHHHHHH! Wow, Will just did a lot of back handsprings. Hey, a dance where Jessica's forced, omnipresent smile is almost appropriate! If this is a quick step, shouldn't they have been stepping more quickly? Most times, it seemed more like swing or a jive. I'm not sure that the quick step would be such a kiss of death if someone would just come out and do a good routine that was actually a quick step. It seems like it could be kind of cool.

Mia: "Will, you look tired of carrying her. ...You need a new partner." HA! Holy crap, Mia!

Courtney and Gev--Dance 2 (jazz): Ha, an Indiana Jones jazz number--that's interesting. This routine makes spelunking seem quite sexy! And I'm impressed that Gev could do that whole routine while wearing a man-purse. I loved this routine! Definitely one of my favorites of the night--and perhaps the season. Very good performance. And they do act like an old married couple.

Kherington and Twitch--Dance 2 (smooth tango): Tango dance fighting, huh? The lighting in the beginning was so dark that I could barely see them. Ok, the music was demanding a passion that I just didn't see. It seemed like they were so preoccupied with what they had to do that they lost the performance. And I didn't see much fighting. This wasn't great at all (it was so bad that the judges even admitted it, despite their overzealous love for this couple). Again, ladies and gentlemen, this is why we need more ballroom dancers on this show.

Katee and Joshua--Dance 2 (Bollywood): Finally, the fabled Bollywood routine. Not sure I would have picked Katee and Josh to do it, but whatever. New choreographers! (Good, I was worried they'd have some non-Indian person choreograph a "Bollywood" routine.) Well, at least Josh looks amused with himself... Ok, I'm pretty amused with him too; he's selling it. That was fun. I can't really judge how authentic it was, but it was super fun. Let's have more cultural dancing. Maybe some polka next week? That Russian dance where they do the squats?

My Favorite Routines:
Courtney and Gev's jazz
Katee and Joshua's Bollywood
Chelise and Mark's salsa

The Bottom Three Should Be:
Comfort and Thayne
Kherington and Twitch
Jessica and Will

So, who is not going to make the Top 10? Based on the judges comments tonight, Comfort and Thayne may finally be in trouble. Comfort seems to have shown us all she can do. The boys who are left are all pretty strong, and I don't see anyone other than Thayne getting the boot. If something weird happens and Jessica ends up in the bottom three with girls other than Comfort, she's going to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment